• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Selling car and MOT

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jmo21 View Post
    6 years old, worth ~£5500 according to Parkers for trade in, expecting some work needing done with MOT

It was more about the less than month on MOT thing "are they likely to refuse it as a trade in"?

Massively can't be arsed with that though

Traded in a lots of cars in past, they've never wanted to test drive them. Look at them yes, and start the engine. Weird.
    Last time I traded a car in with a month left on the MOT he didn't bat an eyelid. Was only 2.5k though and he would put it straight through the auction anyway so made no difference. The place I got rid also had an service garage attached so they would just bang it through there at cost. They certainly won't refuse it if it can make them some money but he may try have you over a barrel on price. He is going to know it needs work if you refuse to do the MOT.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

If selling to a dealer, they will get in MOT'ed in a jiffy. I'm sure it'll pass with flying colours, courtesy of their local friendly pet MOT place

I'd be surprised if having only 3 weeks left on the current MOT will make any difference to them, although they might try to bid you down

Comment

Originally posted by vwdan View Post

In my experience, depending on the dealer and the trade in, trade ins are primarily a sweetener to get you to buy the car. I traded in a £500 Fiesta on a £4000 car from a main dealer and they never even looked at it. I mean that literally - we agreed a price and shook on it without them seeing the car in person.
        Same happened with my first real banger, agreed trade in value of £750

When went to pick up the new car, salesmen started by saying, oh I should never have gave you £750 for that, should have been more like £250. As my face started to go red..... he quickly qualified with "It's ok, I'm not trying to change it, it's out problem"

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
          but he may try have you over a barrel on price. He is going to know it needs work if you refuse to do the MOT.
          Originally posted by Platypus View Post
          I'd be surprised if having only 3 weeks left on the current MOT will make any difference to them, although they might try to bid you down
          yeah, that's what I thought.

buying a 1 year old car, so hopefully that'll be enough for them not to beast me too much

Comment

Be arsed and give it a thorough clean (get it valeted) you can then set a higher asking price/better tools for negotiating.

Good luck.

qh
            He had a negative bluety on a quackhandle and was quadraspazzed on a lifeglug.

I look forward to your all knowing and likely sarcastic and unhelpful reply.

Comment

Working...
            X