• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

SAS Survival Handbook

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've always fancied my own nuclear fall out shed thing, did see one on TV, underground in the middle of a field.

I think it was being sold with the field for 40k or something.

As a software developer I have no transferrable skills to the real world if it all goes to pot, not sure my training on Call of duty would help either.

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
      If you could anaesthetise it first you'd be OK.
      Well I suppose seeing that most males on here are big hard geezers, then just one punch to the head should do it...
      Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
        Well I suppose seeing that most males on here are big hard geezers, then just one punch to the head should do it...
        Nope, I just tell them to fall unconscious and they do ... maybe I should brush my teeth at some point this year ....
        "He's actually ripped" - Jared Padalecki

https://youtu.be/l-PUnsCL590?list=PL...dNeCyi9a&t=615

Comment

Originally posted by GreyWolf View Post
          You might regret getting the Kindle version when you're living in a cave.
          A Biolite Campstove will keep your Kindle charged! I have one that's an essential for my little expeditions into the wilds, keeps my battery chewing iPhone charged quite nicely with the right options set. I also have a USB battery charger to plug into it to keep my portable electrical kit going for as long as I need.

During my army career, we did an escape and evasion course as part of a leadership course, much like the one RAF pilots have to take. The evasion part of it was taught by a very strange chap, one of "them", who taught us to use Maslow's Hierarchy of Needs in planning a life in the wilds: if you can address the physiological aspects of the pyramid then you can survive quite easily with the right attitude. Just sort your priorities and don't try for things too high up the pyramid until you've addressed the basics. A very weird course but very valuable.

Priority 1: Shelter and water. Even then, water can be left for a day or so if it's a genuine emergency. You will need somewhere to rest though, especially in cold weather.
          Priority 2: Safe shelter and secure water with identifiable food sources. There is a difference, the first line can keep you going for a short time but a nice safe shelter is psychologically something that'll allow you to get essential sleep.

The most important aspect though is attitude. If you approach the end of civilisation with an attitude of "Yay! I never have to work for those tulipers again!" then you're far more likely to survive than if you have an attitude of "We're doooooomed!"

Comment

Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
            I bought this for my Kindle for this weeks work reading. Probably 50% intrigue, 50% what happens if it all goes tits up as it's looking a bit naughty over this Ukraine business.

So I sit down to read this book last night, and the following paragraph still haunts me :

So are you ready, should things go tits up? Could you survive fending for yourself, being your own doctor, nurse, dentist, navigator, cook? Do you have the mental strength?

I think if it goes up, I will not cope at all well.
            What has all this to do with a glorified spreadsheet tool?
            And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by GreyWolf View Post
              You might regret getting the Kindle version when you're living in a cave.
              Bazza gets caught
              Socrates - "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing."

CUK University Challenge Champions 2010

Comment

I think the hardest thing would be fighting off other people if the world really went to pot, I could survive ok otherwise
                Doing the needful since 1827

Comment

Spetsnaz Survival Handbook - just one page: get guns and ammo - the rest along the way...

Comment

Originally posted by woohoo View Post
                    I've always fancied my own nuclear fall out shed thing,,,.
                    I've got one. Six inch thick reinforced concrete, with airfilter. I keep my ski equipment in it. I'm thinking of converting it into a sauna.
                    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

You should have read The Road instead. Then you'd realise it's better not to survive

Comment

Working...
                      X