• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Americans

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Flashman View Post
    One in four Americans 'do not know the Earth circles the Sun' - Telegraph

I like 'muricans generally even if they are a bit too loud. But you really have to wonder about them sometimes...
    The original series of 'Randall and Hopkirk, Deceased' was renamed 'My Partner the Ghost' in USA when released there because research showed the majority of American's didn't know what 'Deceased' meant....

Comment

Originally posted by Flashman View Post
      One in four Americans 'do not know the Earth circles the Sun' - Telegraph

I like 'muricans generally even if they are a bit too loud. But you really have to wonder about them sometimes...
      A bit like:

A study of 2000 British children aged 9-15 revealed that more than one in 20 "thought Hitler managed Germany's football team rather than the leader of the fascist Nazi Party" while "one in six children believed Auschwitz was a World War Two theme park."

This may seem unlikely, but it becomes somewhat more plausible when you read the results of another survey indicating that "more than half of children aged between four and 12 struggled to recognise a crocodile while 44 per cent were unable to identify a leopard. Many children also had difficulty recognising gorillas and chimpanzees while others could not tell the difference between a male and female lion." Now, to be sure, both of those studies were conducted by interested parties (the animal study was, in fact, put together by a videogame company pushing a new zoo-themed title), but it probably does say something about the state of education in Britain, particularly when you consider that pretty much every British child can tell you the brand, type of blade, and potential for grievous bodily harm of every knife on that island.
      Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

1 in 20 is 5%. isn't that quite a low figure?

I wonder where you got that quote from anyway?

Comment

Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Working...
          X