• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Bad time of year for new contracts?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MyUserName View Post
    I have heard various people claim the market was bad when what happening was they were restricting themselves to areas and niches where there was no work.

Where are you prepared to work?
    What business experience do you have?

What UI skills are you experienced in?
    Is all of your 10 years doing the same thing or do you only have a year or two in the market you are looking at?
    Nope, looking within a 50 odd mile radius in and around London.

Comment

I've just hit the market.

What I'm hearing consistently is that this year is expected to be a boom, and we are currently experiencing the lull before the new financial year budgets kick in in April.

Comment

Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
        Have you filled out the questionnaire?

Welcome.

You need to fill out the CUK questionnaire.

Q1) Have you ever been in a Turkish prison?
        A1)
        Q2) Have you ever seen a grown man naked?
        A2)
        Q3) Do you like films about gladiators?
        A3)
        Q4) Do you own your own copy of the film "Glad he ate her"
        A4)
        Q5) Have you bled your radiators recently?
        A5)
        Q6) Have you ever licked the chutney spoon and put it back?
        A6)
        Q7) Have you ever tried polishing the Ninja?
        A7)
        Q8) Do you read the daily mail?
        A8)
        Q9) What is the value of your house?
        A9)
        Q10) How do you feel about giant alien lizards?
        A10)

Also please provide 2 references.

TIA

The CUK mob
        :-D good grief - no, yes, no, no, no, no, ?, no, n/a, 'V' gone wrong? Now I just need to tap dance while reciting my CV word for word right? ;-)
        Last edited by Erebus; 3 March 2014, 19:32.

Comment

Thank you for the sensible answers folks, for the not so sensible I bet you are a pure joy to work with.

Seriously - It sounds like I need to up my game at the interview stage then.

Comment

Originally posted by RetSet View Post
            I've just hit the market.

What I'm hearing consistently is that this year is expected to be a boom, and we are currently experiencing the lull before the new financial year budgets kick in in April.
            Thanks, I was thinking that could be the case. For my role type I'm finding maybe 20-30 live and suitable 'local' (within 40-50 miles) contracts at any point but guessing the competition must be in the hundreds at least.
            Last edited by Erebus; 3 March 2014, 19:35.

Comment

I used to have a VAXStation called Erebus.

Comment

Originally posted by Erebus View Post
                :-D good grief - no, yes, no, no, no, no, ?, no, n/a, 'V' gone wrong? Now I just need to tap dance while reciting my CV word for word right? ;-)
                Fail. Redo against question numbers.
                Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
                  I used to have a VAXStation called Erebus.
                  Artificial intelligence truely works!
                  "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

That many interviews without a bite means its you, sorry.
                    CV is working, initial contact with the agency is working, client wants a chat.
                    This is sales and you need to go in with that in mind. Back-up everything on your CV with a positive explanation.
                    You don't have to claim detailed knowledge of everything but you do have to be positive where you have some experience.
                    Yes, I worked on something similar at xyz corp, I did this part, project result was blah blah blah.
                    It has to be believeable and honest enough, it's like a first date, be yourself but a REALLY good version.
                    ALSO - you are a contractor, you are the finished article, forget I think I can, sorry, I'm not sure, I have potential, etc etc that isn't worth the rate.
                    Someone who gets things done, can get on with everyone and has a nothing is a problem or too much trouble attitude is.
                    If you know a seasoned contractor, ask them to do a mock interview and give you tips.
                    Get the next one...

Comment

Originally posted by Erebus View Post
                      Nope, looking within a 50 odd mile radius in and around London.
                      That is odd, there is loads of work there.

What business experience do you have (finance, telecoms etc)?

What UI skills are you experienced in?
                      Is all of your 10 years doing the same thing or do you only have a year or two in the actual market you are looking at?
                      "He's actually ripped" - Jared Padalecki

https://youtu.be/l-PUnsCL590?list=PL...dNeCyi9a&t=615

Comment

Working...
                      X