• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Osborne said to face £20bn black hole in Budget

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by petergriffin View Post
    I'm surprised nobody has yet mentioned the EU and unregulated immigration as the cause of the £20B hole.
    Perhaps because it's not ?

Boo

Comment

Originally posted by Boo View Post
      Perhaps because it's not ?

Boo
      So you are saying that this deficit is entirely homegrown without any contribution from the EU penpushers and Labour fostered benefit tourist spongers migrants?
      <Insert idea here> will never be adopted because the politicians are in the pockets of the banks!

Comment

Originally posted by lilelvis2000 View Post
        I'd be happy if the govt. ditched the business rates - essentially a large tax for doing business from premises. What do I get in return for paying this? very little. Will I be looking to stay here...nope. I plan to move things home.
        Originally posted by d000hg View Post
        If you run a proper business from home, you are still potentially liable for rates.
        I don't think that's what lilelvis2000 means by "home".

Comment

Originally posted by lilelvis2000 View Post
          I'd be happy if the govt. ditched the business rates - essentially a large tax for doing business from premises. ...
          Can't see that happening in a hurry. If business rates were scrapped then council taxes would have to rise a significant amount to compensate.

What I can see is capital gains tax creeping in on profits from the sale of primary residences, maybe a small percentage at first but rising over several years. They probably won't dare do anything before the election though
          Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
            Can't see that happening in a hurry. If business rates were scrapped then council taxes would have to rise a significant amount to compensate.

What I can see is capital gains tax creeping in on profits from the sale of primary residences, maybe a small percentage at first but rising over several years. They probably won't dare do anything before the election though
            This would cause utter outrage especially as you already have to pay hefty stamp duty fees on the way in. I fear you could be right though.

Comment

Originally posted by Martin@AS Financial View Post
              This would cause utter outrage especially as you already have to pay hefty stamp duty fees on the way in.
              Absolutely, which is why I doubt they will do anything before the election

I fear you could be right though.
              There was a graph in the economist a couple of weeks ago of UK property ownership over the last 20 years, with curves of percentages of owners for different age groups. The "under 30" age group, and even the "under 40" age group I think, is practically a straight line sloping inexorably downwards to the right. So for any party advocating a bit of wealth redistribution it's an open goal.
              Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by petergriffin View Post
                So you are saying that this deficit is entirely homegrown without any contribution from the EU penpushers and Labour fostered benefit tourist spongers migrants?
                Yes. The deficit is almost entirely caused by economic damage due to the bankster heist coupled with the coalition's disasterous attempt to realign the economy with the new fixed electoral cycle.

The net cost of membership of the EU to an average uk household is the same as taking a daily broadhseet 6 days a week. Immigrants make a net contribution to our economy, more would be better.

Boo

Comment

Originally posted by Boo View Post
                  Yes. The deficit is almost entirely caused by economic damage due to the bankster heist coupled with the coalition's disasterous attempt to realign the economy with the new fixed electoral cycle.
                  That's actually economically illiterate.

It was at a record peacetime level before they assumed power, and has been broadly coming down since.

Even an idiot like Ed Balls wouldn't try accusing the coalition of that.

Comment

Working...
                  X