• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Golf

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I used to drink in a pub where the barman was also a golf pro and quite a few of the customers played golf so lessons were given during the quiet periods. Eventually came the day that we decided to try it for real, I was knackered after the 14th hole and so had to skip to the 19th hole. Pitch and Putt, Mini Golf and Crazy Golf are my limits now...
    Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

You should always hit your balls with your wood when hoping to get close to the hole.
      While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Originally posted by doodab View Post
        You should always hit your balls with your wood when hoping to get close to the hole.
        I'd be worried if my wood was bendy enough for that.
        And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by GlenW View Post
          Best fact I know about golf, via Tom Clancy, is why golf is called golf.

Because sh1t was already taken.

Comment

Originally posted by Jog On View Post
            Thinking of learning now I'm the wrong side of 40...

Any CUK golfers got any tips?
            It's a great sport you can do into old age.

And, except for some of the snobby clubs, it's good for social life. Especially if they have a ladies section.

Comment

Originally posted by Jog On View Post
              Thinking of learning now I'm the wrong side of 40...

Any CUK golfers got any tips?
              Just the wrong side of 30 here.... Took up tennis a few months ago and started to get pretty good at it. Took private/group lessons and played a lot. Unfortunately got a wrist injury now

Have you considered that as opposed to Golf? Better for your health, can be played in doors all year round (If you sign up to David Lloyd like myself), a lot more action happening as opposed to just walking for miles. I see Golf as a retirement sport more than a working man's sport - a few of my friends took it up who are in their 20s and not married, no kids. I just can't find the time to spend full days playing it.

Comment

Originally posted by NorthWestPerm2Contr View Post
                Just the wrong side of 30 here.... Took up tennis a few months ago and started to get pretty good at it. Took private/group lessons and played a lot. Unfortunately got a wrist injury now

Have you considered that as opposed to Golf? Better for your health, can be played in doors all year round (If you sign up to David Lloyd like myself), a lot more action happening as opposed to just walking for miles. I see Golf as a retirement sport more than a working man's sport - a few of my friends took it up who are in their 20s and not married, no kids. I just can't find the time to spend full days playing it.
                I go to the gym quite a bit (David Lloyd) and do martial arts (wing chun - will do black t-shirt this December).

I'm thinking more of a fun/social type of activity to get into on my impending extended summer holiday

Think I might start here - Jurassic Golf

I live quite near World of Golf as well and my David Lloyd has a course with classes as well.
                "Is someone you don't like allowed to say something you don't like? If that is the case then we have free speech."- Elon Musk

Comment

Originally posted by oracleslave View Post
                  Get lessons right from the start so that you don't teach yourself bad habits. No use bashing buckets of balls on the range if you're using the wrong technique.

If you're near South London, I think the World of Golf offered a free set of 6 lessons last summer for those looking to start so might be worth checking out before committing too much cash.

EDIT: World of Golf | New Malden | Beginners Golf Lessons - www.worldofgolf.co.uk
                  Tidy
                  "Is someone you don't like allowed to say something you don't like? If that is the case then we have free speech."- Elon Musk

Comment

I would concentrate on your long game first of all. Probably best to get yourself a 7 iron and head down to your local driving range as others have said.

Once you've got your long game working, you'll need to concentrate on your short game.

To perfect this, I'd recommend practicing on fast greens. The greens at my local club are as smooth as a baby's bum and are VERY fast. The way I play fast greens is to use a technique I call spot putting. Imagine you have a 30 foot putt. Then imagine your ball is just 1 yard from the hole and hit the ball with just enough force to make that imaginary hole. 9 times out of 10 the ball will have the legs to reach the hole but won't overrun.

However, as others have said I can't stress how imporant it is to have someone right behind you at all times as you get your golfing career on track.

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
                      I'd be worried if my wood was bendy enough for that.
                      But I bet if you got hit in the balls it would go bendy.

Originally posted by Doggy Styles View Post
                      It's a great sport you can do into old age.

And, except for some of the snobby clubs, it's good for social life. Especially if they have a ladies section.
                      To add humour, something to laugh at?
                      Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                      I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                      Originally posted by vetran
                      Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Working...
                      X