• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Russian troops massing on the Ukraine border

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Damn, hit the buy button too quick on my Russia ETF, still underwater but holding firm, happy to hold currently....

Comment

Worth noting that Ukraine as a country has only really existed for about 100 years and the word itself is derived from the Russian word for borderlands, probably because on olden times it was the edge of Kievan Rus'. So maybe there's a case for one big Velikaya Rossiya....

I was making a point but I can't remember what it was now!

Comment

Originally posted by stek View Post
        I was making a point but I can't remember what it was now!
        That's okay. You've come to the right place!

“The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Originally posted by stek View Post
          Worth noting that Ukraine as a country has only really existed for about 100 years and the word itself is derived from the Russian word for borderlands, probably because on olden times it was the edge of Kievan Rus'. So maybe there's a case for one big Velikaya Rossiya.... I was making a point but I can't remember what it was now!
          Kiev (capital of modern Ukraine) was the capital of "Russia" for a long time, in fact at the time the whole entity was called Kievskaya Russ (Kiev's Russia) - just as you said.

Ukraine as a country of 40 mln people where at least 25 mln would self identify as Ukrainians is close to half of UK population.

What would happen if Putin get Ukraine or most of it to himself? After that Belarussia will fold into it too, and Putin will recreate modern version of USSR - do you really think he'd do less tulip in the world in this case? Most certainly he will become even more dangerous - new Cold War has begun, not yet officially but effectively that's what will happen now that he crossed the line.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
            Kiev (capital of modern Ukraine) was the capital of "Russia" for a long time, in fact at the time the whole entity was called Kievskaya Russ (Kiev's Russia) - just as you said.

Ukraine as a country of 40 mln people where at least 25 mln would self identify as Ukrainians is close to half of UK population.

What would happen if Putin get Ukraine or most of it to himself? After that Belarussia will fold into it too, and Putin will recreate modern version of USSR - do you really think he'd do less tulip in the world in this case? Most certainly he will become even more dangerous - new Cold War has begun, not yet officially but effectively that's what will happen now that he crossed the line.
            I hope so. I am fed up of getting separate visas for these ex Soviet Republics.
            "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Working...
            X