• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Removing a squatter from my reserved train seat

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by CheeseSlice View Post
    This week took the biscuit. It wasn't a pregnant woman, old person, or disabled person, but a man of faith.

I thought the guy looked fairly well dressed for a Vicar. He apologised and stood up smiling, but I thought nothing more of it once he was standing in the aisle pressed up against the sweaty commuters staring into their iPhones.

When I told my wife about it in the evening, she stood in shock when I described he was oldish, mostly bald, wearing a purple dog collar, and a large golden crucifix

She started going through Google images and I very quickly identified him.
    He is only a Bishop! A fairly prominent one too that I'm convinced was on his way to the House of Lords.

Am I doomed? a marked man?... you know.. up there? <points>
    I did a re-enactment once where we were playing Hussites and someone arrive playing a bishop. Being a Hussite I screamed abuse at him, called him names, asked him how many children had starved whilst he bought those expensive clothes etc.

Back at camp I asked who had played the bishop as his kit was great and was met with blank stares and the eventual explanation that he was a real bishop who had come to the site for a service and nothing to do with the show.

I guess I will be joining you in hell.
    "He's actually ripped" - Jared Padalecki

https://youtu.be/l-PUnsCL590?list=PL...dNeCyi9a&t=615

Comment

Originally posted by MyUserName View Post
      I did a re-enactment once where we were playing Hussites and someone arrive playing a bishop. Being a Hussite I screamed abuse at him, called him names, asked him how many children had starved whilst he bought those expensive clothes etc.

Back at camp I asked who had played the bishop as his kit was great and was met with blank stares and the eventual explanation that he was a real bishop who had come to the site for a service and nothing to do with the show.

I guess I will be joining you in hell.
      So how many children had he starved?

Comment

I hate it when people do this. I got onto a mostly empty train last week; sat where I felt like, nothing to say otherwise. Then a couple of stations later it'd got quite busy and there were several la-di-da types going "excuse me, I think that's my seat". FFS - it's a train. I was there first; I've paid for the ticket just like everybody else; sod off.
        Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by gricerboy View Post
          If you can't afford first class might I suggest a woofter seat in the inter carriage area may be the best place to spend your journey?

In case of non availability of the aforementioned facility, you could do as I do and invest in a self inflating chair.

The commotion caused by the sound of rushing air when you pull the cord on the suspicious looking pack you've been carrying is guaranteed to clear a space big enough for you to set up camp in comfort.
          Woofter seat

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
            I hate it when people do this. I got onto a mostly empty train last week; sat where I felt like, nothing to say otherwise. Then a couple of stations later it'd got quite busy and there were several la-di-da types going "excuse me, I think that's my seat". FFS - it's a train. I was there first; I've paid for the ticket just like everybody else; sod off.
            Indeed, virgin trains are the worst for this, half the time when I get on at euston the seat reservations haven't downloaded and one has no idea whether the seat is reserved or not, should be first come first served IMO.

Oh and if he was a bishop why wasn't he in first class, with the tens of billions the catholic church is sitting on surely that's standard?

Comment

Originally posted by MyUserName View Post
              I did a re-enactment once where we were playing Hussites
              A re-enactment of a 14th Century Bohemian religious zealot?
              You might want to consider hiring a new entertainments manager!!

“The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
                So how many children had he starved?
                He declined to comment.

Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post
                A re-enactment of a 14th Century Bohemian religious zealot?
                You might want to consider hiring a new entertainments manager!!
                Nah, it is tremendous fun!
                We even do a show once a year over in Tabor. They love us there, they simply cannot get their head around why a British group does the Hussites.
                "He's actually ripped" - Jared Padalecki

https://youtu.be/l-PUnsCL590?list=PL...dNeCyi9a&t=615

Comment

Originally posted by BoredBloke View Post
                  Was there anything to indicate that the seat was reserved - its clearly shown on Virgin trains if it is. If it was obvious that the seat had been reserved then he was obviously coverting thy neighbours ox (or seat in this case) or something like that....my child....verily etc
                  If you travel on trains frequently you'll see reserved seats are frequently not used - you get to the station the reservation is from and nobody appears.

People buy multiple tickets in advance and don't use them, or get on and grab the first empty, unreserved seat. If the train is busy you might as well sit anywhere until asked to move, rather than stand the whole journey.
                  Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                  I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                  Originally posted by vetran
                  Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                    If you travel on trains frequently you'll see reserved seats are frequently not used - you get to the station the reservation is from and nobody appears.

People buy multiple tickets in advance and don't use them, or get on and grab the first empty, unreserved seat. If the train is busy you might as well sit anywhere until asked to move, rather than stand the whole journey.
                    The other thing that happens is that you can get a reservation on a specific train for an open ticket but you can travel on a different train. When I was commuting on the Birmingham to Euston route, I could almost always get a seat in an unclaimed reserved seat.

Comment

Originally posted by CheeseSlice View Post
                      I forgot to say that the stupid train company forgot to put the reserved tickets in the back of the seat.

But I was absolutely sure it was the right train, right carriage, and right seat.
                      In that case the train company has let you down. I wouldnt give up the seat if it wasn't ticketed, as I could have found one which wasn't ticketed if it had been done.

Comment

Working...
                      X