• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Sports Relief

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by minestrone View Post
    The problem is that the stuff is like Japanese knotweed in the BBC, it gets everywhere and where it is there is going to be lots of it. I could take this stuff when it was on one night of the year and I could not watch it but now you cannot avoid it.

Davina McCall is just annoying and now her career is in freefall she does a bit of comic relief so we all have to suffer her for weeks on end.
    All of this +100.

That knotweed comment could be applied to so many things. Strictly Come Dancing, for example. Not something I've ever watched because watching people dance ain't my cup of tea but it is oozed from every pore of the popular media when it's showing.

If it were just a weekly 1 hour show, as things used to be, I could happily ignore it.

Comment

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
      Hmmm, so what's likely to persuade you to give to charity?

Stuff like this, whilst it can be irritating, makes people reach for their wallets now, not at some indeterminate point in the future that may never come. I was impressed enough by John Bishop's efforts last time to text whatever it was to donate my fiver.
      I give reasonably significant amounts to various charities at certain points of the year. I'm a supporter of 3 in particular and I always get my cheque book out at Christmas and Co. year end. I normally do it when I go on holiday too. Normally it's at times when I am indulging myself in something that my thoughts turn to people/animals/things that are less fortunate than myself.

I really couldn't give a flying f*** about whatever it was John Bishop did, nor David Walliams doing that swimming thing. Good on them, and all that, but let's not forget that these supposedly altruistic acts are normally shrewd investments in their flagging careers.

Not that I'll be watching it but let's hope they don't pull the normal stunt of whisking somebody off to be filmed in the presence of poor Indian street kids where they will turn on the waterworks bang on cue.

One can only imagine the scene when the cameras stop rolling.

"Ok, Benji, was that a wrap?"

"Crissy, dahling, how could anyone possibly think that you are a crass, vulgar, narcissistic, ginger disc jockey after that performance?"

...and the rest of the conversation is drowned out by the whop whop whop of the blades of the approaching helicopter which has come to whisk them back to the Bombay Hilton where the Bolly is on ice....

I know that sounds frightfully cynical but some of 'em are ghastly people. Not all, but a significant number are.

Comment

I ran a mile in full armour a year or two ago for sports relief. I didn't get any sponsorship, I just wanted to make sure it fitted properly and SR gave me a convenient chance.
        "He's actually ripped" - Jared Padalecki

https://youtu.be/l-PUnsCL590?list=PL...dNeCyi9a&t=615

Comment

Working...
        X