• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Overtaking on a slip road

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cenobite View Post
    If you are joining the motorway on lane two of a slip road then you've got to be prepared to join the motorway's lane two directly. That takes a lot of observation and planning to do.
    Eh? Since when - most sliproads merge at the end and, if they don't, they're streamed into separate merge points for lane one.

Comment

Originally posted by SpontaneousOrder View Post
      I'd assumed that you were alluding to the fact that car (and bike) speedos are deliberately calibrated to OVER read speed - hence an indicated 75 is almost certainly going to be no more than a real 70.

The official police guidelines a few years back are 10% + 2. I.e. 35 in a 30.
      The 2 is 'at the Chief Constables discretion' and the they have been told not to exercise it now. That's what I was told at my speed awareness course. Which I was late for, had to drive like the clappers to get there...

Comment

Originally posted by vwdan View Post
        Eh? Since when - most sliproads merge at the end and, if they don't, they're streamed into separate merge points for lane one.
        Yes but if you're in lane 2 of the slip road you have to prepare to join straight into lane 2 of the motorway. "Roadcraft", the advanced driving manual, has a diagram explaining this.

You should stick to the left-hand lane pal.

Comment

Originally posted by Cenobite View Post
          Yes but if you're in lane 2 of the slip road you have to prepare to join straight into lane 2 of the motorway. "Roadcraft", the advanced driving manual, has a diagram explaining this.

You should stick to the left-hand lane pal.
          I'll have to take your word for as I don't have the car version to hand, but I can see nothing of the sort in my Motorcycle Roadcraft manual and it's not something that I've ever heard mentioned on any advanced course I've done. Also, Roadcraft isn't the "Advanced Driving Manual", it's the Police Drivers manual. Both ROSPA and IAM do their own thing, separate to the book AFAIK.

I'm happy to be wrong, but I can't figure out a safe and appropriate way to find yourself parallel to another car at the end of a merge lane. That would highlight bad planning and anticipation to me, but I guess it's easier to plan an overtake on a bike, so maybe it just never came up. That and motorways are the dullest road on a bike, so trainers tend not to head that way.

Edit: Oh jeez, just realised who I'm responding to. Never mind.
          Last edited by vwdan; 7 April 2014, 19:40.

Comment

The police are not there to uphold the law.

They are the law.

HTH

Comment

Police Interceptors tonight - PistonHeads

Comment

There are give way markings at the end of the slip road, so it shouldn't really be that hard. If there's no space, then stop and wait until there is

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
                  <bzzzzz> deviation
                  Originally posted by MyUserName View Post
                  What?
                  Er....

damn.
                  Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by pjclarke View Post
                    The inaccurate speedo thing (aka you can do 10% over the limit and they won't touch you) is a myth, I'm afraid. It's illegal for a car speedo to under-report the actual speed.
                    Like a lot myths, this is based on a grain of truth, the original British Standard for car speedometers was +/- 10% of actual speed, so if you’d calibrated your speedo against a measured mile, you could get away with exceeding the speed limit.

Car speedometers are now subject to EU Standards, these state that:

Lower limit - They should never show less than the actual speed
                    Upper limit - They should never show more than 110% of actual speed + 6.25mph

What this means is, if your speedo is showing 70mph, you will not be doing more than 70mph, but you may only be actually travelling at 58mph

Comment

Originally posted by Magpie252 View Post
                      Like a lot myths, this is based on a grain of truth, the original British Standard for car speedometers was +/- 10% of actual speed, so if you’d calibrated your speedo against a measured mile, you could get away with exceeding the speed limit.

Car speedometers are now subject to EU Standards, these state that:

Lower limit - They should never show less than the actual speed
                      Upper limit - They should never show more than 110% of actual speed + 6.25mph

What this means is, if your speedo is showing 70mph, you will not be doing more than 70mph, but you may only be actually travelling at 58mph
                      Underinflated tyres can also make the speedo show a higher speed than it should, although obviously it's dangerous to drive fast with flat tyres.
                      Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Working...
                      X