• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

It's grim oop north

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by woohoo View Post
    Totally agree with you about personal responsibility but I also think we (the state) have for many years paid people to do nothing. So not just ignored them but actually discouraged many of them from working.
    Exactly.

Some folks are just keen to jump on the bandwagon and scream intolerant lefty. If folks do not receive encouragement then what achievements do we expect? The truth is greater society cares nothing for those individuals.
    "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
      url=http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/healthnews/10779783/The-135-places-in-Britain-where-one-in-seven-boys-will-not-live-to-retirement.html]The 135 places in Britain where one in seven boys will not live to retirement - Telegraph[/url]

And Wales
      And London

And everywhere.

So no point worrying about a pension really.
      Flip me - 25% not reaching retirement in Glasgow?!

Living there must be like being in the Seige of Stalingrad

As for Blackpool, I reckon the wicked cold wind that howls up the Irish Sea must contribute to their woes in winter. That and the drunken fights that erupt all over the place in the town centre every saturday night.
      Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
        Flip me - 25% not reaching retirement in Glasgow?!
        What are they meant to retire from? Lying on the street in an alcoholic stupour, shouting at someone in an effort to start a fight, with the words obscured by the deep-fried pizza shoved in their gob, outside the dole office?

I think I covered all of the bases there, let me know if I missed one.

Comment

Originally posted by Ticktock View Post
          What are they meant to retire from? Lying on the street in an alcoholic stupour, shouting at someone in an effort to start a fight, with the words obscured by the deep-fried pizza shoved in their gob, outside the dole office?

I think I covered all of the bases there, let me know if I missed one.
          Should probably have mentioned sectarian violence and knife crime.

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
            Flip me - 25% not reaching retirement in Glasgow?! .
            Wish you were there?
            "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Bunk View Post
              Should probably have mentioned sectarian violence and knife crime.
              Bollocks. And I just realised I missed asking for spare change and pissing in doorways. Or do the Glaswegians only do that when they migrate down south? Where do you sleep and piss Bunk?

Comment

Originally posted by Ticktock View Post
                Bollocks. And I just realised I missed asking for spare change and pissing in doorways. Or do the Glaswegians only do that when they migrate down south? Where do you sleep and piss Bunk?
                Not being Glaswegian I'm familiar with both beds and toilets.

Still haven't figured out which is for which though

Comment

The NW is more than just parts of Lancashire, its a big bloody place.
                  No it's not, Lancashire is everything. Well, I suppose there is Westmorland too but that's it. Cheshire is the south and people in Cumberland sound like the people in Northumberland so they are obviously northeasterners who have got lost.

Though the original story is presented as north versus south it is a bit more complicated than that, as I'm sure you all realised. People in the Ribble Valley are mostly not carking it in their fifties yet the boroughs around it are all quite high up the list.

Comment

Originally posted by GreyWolf View Post
                    No it's not, Lancashire is everything.
                    Greater Manchester, Merseyside, Cumbria, Cheshire, Chester, etc... not part of Lancashire. But that's beside the point.

Comment

Greater Manchester, Merseyside, Cumbria, Cheshire, Chester, etc... not part of Lancashire. But that's beside the point.
                      Artificial counties that mostly don't even have an administrative purpose any more. The Mersey is the boundary between Lancashire and Cheshire, the Duddon is the border with Cumberland, Windermere the border with Westmorland.

Comment

Working...
                      X