• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

What a foul Munter

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by cojak View Post
    He doesn't, I didn't get to the end of the thread.

He just knows where the line is as he constantly tiptoes up to it with some agility...
    First time I've heard MF described as agile.
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
      Think about: (I'm making this up...!)

"The lovely Sue Barker presents Question of Sport"

"Clare Balding presents the Horse Show"

Is there a problem?
      Not that I see.

The adjective lovely can be interpreted as nice, kind, comapassionate or a hundred things other than a comment on Sue Barkers appearance. Clare Balding might be a little piqued she isn't lovely too I suppose.
      Last edited by doodab; 29 April 2014, 07:33.
      While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Originally posted by doodab View Post
        Clare Balding might be a little piqued she isn't lovely too I suppose.
        Maybe she should make more of an effort.

Comment

Not that I see.

The adjective lovely can be interpreted as nice, kind, comapassionate or a hundred things other than a comment on Sue Barkers appearance. Clare Balding might be a little piqued she isn't lovely too I suppose.
          Or perhaps Clare could be chuffed that her presenting achievements are because of her talent, not her loveliness?

Comment

Or perhaps Clare could be chuffed that her presenting achievements are because of her talent, not her loveliness?
            Is loveliness not a talent?
            While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

From wikipedia;
              Balding applied to read law at Christ's College, Cambridge but failed her interview and realised that law was not what she most wanted to do.[3] She later successfully applied to Newnham College, Cambridge and read English.[5] While at university she was President of the Cambridge Union Society in Easter 1992 and graduated in 1993 with a 2:1 honours degree.[citation needed]

From 1988 to 1993, Balding was a leading amateur flat jockey and Champion Lady Rider in 1990. She had an eating disorder during her time as a jockey.[
              Right, so she's got the kind of educational background that makes her a good public speaker and presenter, and the kind of sporting background that gives her insight into what she's on about. She seems to me to be more than qualified to present sports programmes on the telly.

As for Sue Barker;

Susan "Sue" Barker, MBE (born 19 April 1956 in Paignton, Devon) is an English television presenter and former professional tennis player. During her tennis career, she won eleven WTA Tour singles titles, including one Grand Slam singles title at the 1976 French Open. She reached a career-high singles ranking of World No. 3
              So she too is obviously eminently qualified to know what she's on about when talking about sport on telly.
              Last edited by Mich the Tester; 29 April 2014, 08:13.
              And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Is loveliness not a talent?
                Not one that's relevant to the job in hand, or one that would generally be commented on for a male presenter.

Comment

Not one that's relevant to the job in hand
                  I'm not sure about that.

Comment

Not one that's relevant to the job in hand, or one that would generally be commented on for a male presenter.
                    I'd disagree. TV hosts in general, aside from your Paxmans in attack dog mode, need to be charming, witty, personable individuals. It's certainly commented on if they aren't.

Comment

love·ly (lŭv′lē)
                      adj. love·li·er, love·li·est
                      1. Full of love; loving.
                      2. Inspiring love or affection.
                      3. Having beauty that appeals to the emotions as well as to the eye. See Synonyms at beautiful.
                      4. Enjoyable; delightful.
                      n. pl. love·lies
                      1. A beautiful person, especially a woman.
                      2. A lovely object.

Loveliness implies to me character rather than appearance. Oh she is Lovely, he is a love etc. Against 'what a handsome chap Vetran is' or 'Mich Would'

I sort of agree we tend to judge women more on appearance than competence, which sometimes is a blessing for the more attractive women.
                      Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Working...
                      X