• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Why open plan offices suck

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MyUserName View Post
    One bank in London was a bit of hassle because there were so many of us crowded in that you had very little personal space. I could not stretch my arms out without hitting the people either side of me.
    Lloyds?

Comment

I worked in a place in Bristol where they played GWR 96.3FM in the office; and in the corridors; and in the lifts; and even in the bogs

Then again, it was the studios. At least they put Planet Rock on in our office on Fridays

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
        I worked in a place in Bristol where they played GWR 96.3FM in the office; and in the corridors; and in the lifts; and even in the bogs
        GWR

Oh you mean Heart Bristol.
        "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
          They suck because there is no where to hide from stupid people, or Dev's are the are more commonly known!
          I have the utmost admiration for the way you publish such a snappy and coherent jibe on a public forum to demonstrate your vast intellectual superiority...

Comment

In response to the OP, couldn't agree more. open plan offices make for a terrible working environment

I am lucky in that I seem to be able to "zone out" most of the time, and I try and avoid any work that's too challenging but I do occasionally have to try and do something tricky to a deadline, and the open office environment with people jabbering on can rapidly send the old blood pressure skyward!

Comment

What kind of programmer can't get into "the zone" and get some work done despite little distractions?
              Originally posted by MaryPoppins
              I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
              Originally posted by vetran
              Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Current client has an open plan office, with hot desking (with more than the usual 1.2 people to a desk, not sure of the exact ratio), the hot desks are not bookable, some are unofficially reserved but you don't know til you ask.

So it is a fight in the morning to just get a desk.

Then you have the usual phone calls, meetings at desks, etc

So not a fan of open plan offices either

Comment

I don't care much for open plan offices unless they're mainly empty. However I've often found they're good when you're the one bothering others for information. I don't ask silly questions though. I check every single document available to me until I have to ask people.

I've always had my own desk so far, or managed to get a good hot desk. I even managed to nab a fixed desk at my last contract when other contractors had to continually fight over crappy hot desks that were smaller than usual, or at the end of a row with your back to a busy corridor. One poor guy would always end up with a desk with his back to the swing doors from reception, so not only did he hear everyone stomp through the doors and get a draught of air, everyone got to nose at what he was doing when passing through

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                    What kind of programmer can't get into "the zone" and get some work done despite little distractions?
                    Little distractions are one thing. A constant barrage of high level noise is quite different and many open plan offices are badly laid out so that you have a very noisy department next to one that needs to concentrate.

It's preety much a science fact that noise means distraction means lower performance on intellectually demanding tasks.
                    While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Originally posted by doodab View Post
                      Little distractions are one thing. A constant barrage of high level noise is quite different and many open plan offices are badly laid out so that you have a very noisy department next to one that needs to concentrate.

It's preety much a science fact that noise means distraction means lower performance on intellectually demanding tasks.
                      Good post. And quite right. I'm surprised you fed the crap troll though.
                      Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

Working...
                      X