• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

What's the best / worst gig you've had?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
    Details ?
    Management acted like playground bullies towards developers. They know they couldn't treat contractors like that so they just shoved me to the side without responding to emails and simply putting off meetings (seems they wanted a scapegoat for their collective failures). At the start of the 4 months there were 6 developers, by the end 3 had already left.

Management would not communicate with developers except by email or phone, even though they were in the same room. Team meetings were all held on the phone and never face to face.

Need I say more?

Oh and the canteen was pure and utter filth.

Comment

15 years ago in Norfolk at a car company. Two punch-ups and a massive argument all with different people in the IT department. It was a stress environment.
      What happens in General, stays in General.
      You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
        15 years ago in Norfolk at a car company. Two punch-ups and a massive argument all with different people in the IT department. It was a stress environment.
        What about your worst gig?
        The material prosperity of a nation is not an abiding possession; the deeds of its people are.

George Frederic Watts

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Postman's_Park

Comment

Originally posted by speling bee View Post
          What about your worst gig?

A gig in London a few years ago where I found that Old Greg was the mens toilet attendant.
          What happens in General, stays in General.
          You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

A gig in London a few years ago where I found that Old Greg was the mens toilet attendant.
            Imagine having that slag as your line manager.
            Last edited by speling bee; 8 May 2014, 15:14. Reason: :spel
            The material prosperity of a nation is not an abiding possession; the deeds of its people are.

George Frederic Watts

Comment

Originally posted by speling bee View Post
              Imagine having that slag as your line manager.

Comment

Originally posted by NorthWestPerm2Contr View Post
                There we go. You had your opportunity. Thanks for the notification.

Of course, strictly speaking, it's a grammatical error, not a spelling error.

George Frederic Watts

Comment

A gig in London a few years ago where I found that Old Greg was the men's toilet.
                  FTFY
                  "He's actually ripped" - Jared Padalecki

https://youtu.be/l-PUnsCL590?list=PL...dNeCyi9a&t=615

Comment

Originally posted by GlenW View Post
                    I'd rather they crossed every 't' and dotted every 'i', but that might just mean I am a coward.
                    That's exactly the kind of attention to detail you'd hope anyone in the nuclear industry would take for granted. Or rather, not take for granted but triple check.
                    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                    Originally posted by vetran
                    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

I seem to find stuff to enjoy in most of my contracts, current one is lovely.
                      My most stressful work was when I worked for a consultancy and they just chucked me in at the deep end saying I was a cognos expert an sent me off to build a datawarehouse when I had never even seen the software. No training, nothing and the client was expecting some sort of guru!
                      I parted company with the agency sortly after that and started contracting.
                      I'm sorry, but I'll make no apologies for this

Pogle is awarded +5 Xeno Geek Points.
                      CUK University Challenge Champions 2010
                      CUK University Challenge Champions 2012

Comment

Working...
                      X