• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

I am not cut out to be a contractor!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    It could be said contracting is a lifestyle choice. If that choice no longer supports your lifestyle and a permie offer would give the elements that are important to you then I say fill your boots...... you dirty ship jumping tax paying blacksheep.
    This^^

I love you MUN as long as you're still on the forum talking about sword waving I won't see you any differently
    In Scooter we trust

Comment

Originally posted by northernladyuk View Post
      I could find work for a nice looking girl like you.
      Anyone who can find work for NLUK could find work for anyone
      merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by MyUserName View Post
        I have been in the same place for 2 years and I like it here. It is 25 minute drive from my house, they are flexible with their permies as they are with contractors (WFH etc.), they are starting to use some new and interesting technologies, there is no real politics and the manager could not care less about reviews etc.

I don't want to go through the circuit of applications, interviews etc. I have two young children and I do not want a long commute away from them, Mrs MUN still has issues with her foot and I do not seem to have the warchest building knack (still don't really have a proper one).

Essentially, I want stability even if I get less money for it. They are starting to hire permies in the team to replace me etc. and that made me realise.

On Monday (once the next 3 month renewal is signed) I am going to ask whether they are interested in taking me on as a permie at the end of it.

I am a little worried about tax implications etc. and how much my life is going to change with the drop in money but other than that I really don't think I want to keep doing this at the moment.

*sigh* it all looked so easy at first!
        It's only going to increase the demand for contractors and the rates that will line our pockets, so go on fill yer boots (or ours should I say!)!

Comment

I have been in the same place for 2 years and I like it here. It is 25 minute drive from my house, they are flexible with their permies as they are with contractors (WFH etc.), they are starting to use some new and interesting technologies, there is no real politics and the manager could not care less about reviews etc.

I don't want to go through the circuit of applications, interviews etc. I have two young children and I do not want a long commute away from them, Mrs MUN still has issues with her foot and I do not seem to have the warchest building knack (still don't really have a proper one).

Essentially, I want stability even if I get less money for it. They are starting to hire permies in the team to replace me etc. and that made me realise.

On Monday (once the next 3 month renewal is signed) I am going to ask whether they are interested in taking me on as a permie at the end of it.

I am a little worried about tax implications etc. and how much my life is going to change with the drop in money but other than that I really don't think I want to keep doing this at the moment.

*sigh* it all looked so easy at first!
          Have you any idea what they might offer you salary?

I'd try and get an idea of that first before mentioning you want to go permie just in case it is way too low.

I really enjoyed my last contract for similar reasons, and they paid a great day rate, but the permie salary they would likely have offered me would have been ludicrously low.

Comment

Originally posted by jmo21 View Post

I'd try and get an idea of that first before mentioning you want to go permie just in case it is way too low.

I really enjoyed my last contract for similar reasons, and they paid a great day rate, but the permie salary they would likely have offered me would have been ludicrously low.
            A lot of places which pay poor salaries pay high day rates. Current place I'd have to reduce take home by 70%.....

Comment

A couple of years ago when they offered a perm job to me they offered 45k but I turned it down and they offered a contract instead (yes, my IR35 insurance is up to date etc.). I would have thought that if I can stick 5 or 10k on to that previous offer then I would be lucky! It is not a fortune but it is probably enough to pay the bills.
              "He's actually ripped" - Jared Padalecki

https://youtu.be/l-PUnsCL590?list=PL...dNeCyi9a&t=615

Comment

A couple of years ago when they offered a perm job to me they offered 45k but I turned it down and they offered a contract instead (yes, my IR35 insurance is up to date etc.). I would have thought that if I can stick 5 or 10k on to that previous offer then I would be lucky! It is not a fortune but it is probably enough to pay the bills.
                Don't forget once you hit £50k you start losing child benefit....

One (very small reason) for me contracting is so that I can work around that....
                merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
                  Don't forget once you hit £50k you start losing child benefit....

One (very small reason) for me contracting is so that I can work around that....
                  Oooh ... good point!
                  "He's actually ripped" - Jared Padalecki

https://youtu.be/l-PUnsCL590?list=PL...dNeCyi9a&t=615

Comment

Did it years ago, now I work from home and have a stonking pension plan. pay is a bit naff about 10-20K different on take home cash but what can you do? Medical is good as well. All the corporate stress toys I can eat as well.

Job has changed a lot but you can move about a bit on responsibilities if you are any good.

You may be surprised what they offer if you make them 'entice you'. Maybe say 'I have seen the writing on the wall, if you are looking to replace me with a permie will I need to look for a new contract or Permanent job after this renewal?' maybe they will take the hint?
                    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

When I went permie I worked out that I was about 20% down in take home terms. That was based on my previous gig, with a long commute, and contentiously being IR35 caught, which I wasn't, but that seemed a more accurate comparison than one derived via tax avoidance (otherwise it would have been 30%+). But I was probably at the lower to middle end of rates compared to a lot of you, whereas I seemed to be quite in demand as a permie.

Half the reason was having go through all the pain of looking for jobs, interviews, and most of all dealing with agents, and then thinking I might well be doing it all over again in 6 months time.
                      Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Working...
                      X