• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

BIG GROUP

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Collapse
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I will be joining the big group today but had a quick question. Tax talk seem to be representing other people on the scheme I was on, cherylon etc. is there any conflict joining both? I am concerned about giving cash to tax talk given they seem to me owned by same people that got us into this mess but they are talking about getting a payment delay while the class action is progress. I missed the webinar the other night so this question may have already been answered but will bg be doing the same?

Is there any reason to join both?

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by typod View Post
      I will be joining the big group today but had a quick question. Tax talk seem to be representing other people on the scheme I was on, cherylon etc. is there any conflict joining both? I am concerned about giving cash to tax talk given they seem to me owned by same people that got us into this mess but they are talking about getting a payment delay while the class action is progress. I missed the webinar the other night so this question may have already been answered but will bg be doing the same?

Is there any reason to join both?

Thanks
      I've seen the letter you refer to.

In my OPINION borne out by experience, I've not seen the APN teams take any notice at all of whether an amount in dispute is under appeal, about to litigate, about to settle, etc. This is not a consideration and HMRC will NOT delay an APN because you MIGHT litigate.

It seems that nothing stops APN except HMRC timetables and resources.

My OPINION is that this part is one of the areas of that letter which is incorrect.

Could you join both?

Yes. If Tax Talk want to litigate, that's a choice you make. BG wants to settle.

You can run both strategies.

With TT though you pay up front. The letter says nothing about what happens to that if a) they don't have enough people or b) decide not to litigate.

With BG you pay over time and can withdraw at any time and pay no more. If you think litigation will get a better result, you can leave. If you think settlement is better result, you can stay.
      Best Forum Adviser & Forum Personality of the Year 2018.

(No, me neither).

Comment

Originally posted by mukil View Post
        Hi All,
        I received enquiry letters 1.5 yrs back for around £35K.

I contacted HMRC, send them proofs and the amount was proven to be £17K. There was a letter from HMRC to confirm this.

But, I received an APN recently with an amount mentioning £35K. I am not sure why HMRC does not have any records except bugging for money and worst part is they call this threat as Lawful.

I already sent a letter but no response so for. Could you please kindly advice what are the possible actions that I could take on this.

Thanks for your suggestions.
        You need to consult a professional adviser as soon as possible

(No, me neither).

Comment

Full pledges

POST #0002 - linuxcat
          POST #0003 - dangerouswhensober
          POST #0004 - squirrel
          POST #0006 - jcb78
          POST #0009 - flamel
          POST #0010 - regron
          POST #0016 - MercladUK
          POST #0017 - StrengthInNumbers
          POST #0018 - Sky Rocket
          POST #0019 - Scruff
          POST #0020 - LandRover
          POST #0021 - DotasScandal
          POST #0022 - convict
          POST #0023 - ads1980
          POST #0028 - jbryce
          POST #0030 - costo
          POST #0035 - thecolour
          POST #0036 - z4thras
          POST #0048 - LEC
          POST #0051 - oldman
          POST #0052 - famousfive
          POST #0053 - DarnEBTs
          POST #0054 - neil99
          POST #0055 - Axeman
          POST #0056 - a Man of Constant
          POST #0058 - Computer
          POST #0059 - porrker
          POST #0060 - davieloco
          POST #0061 - Emmybeckmann
          POST #0062 - FTTM
          POST #0063 - lutkeg
          POST #0066 - lastManStanding
          POST #0069 - Reddevil
          POST #0070 - bentley0632
          POST #0071 - Gaskie
          POST #0072 - fetabob
          POST #0073 - Samatra
          POST #0074 - fielder
          POST #0076 - Penguin
          POST #0077 - Milo
          POST #0079 - klmedlock
          POST #0080 - cliffordthedog
          POST #0085 - staropramen42
          POST #0086 - FairnesstoAll
          POST #0093 - zonam
          POST #0095 - Workinghard
          POST #0098 - chr16v
          POST #0104 - Boobetty
          POST #0105 - badabr
          POST #0106 - NotAmused
          POST #0107 - shevlane
          POST #0116 - typod
          POST #0121 - TonyTucker
          POST #0131 - Tweedle
          POST #0133 - Leebok
          POST #0135 - warlord
          POST #0138 - bravesirrobin
          POST #0140 - mjdes
          POST #0141 - parallelmonogamist
          POST #0142 - VisV
          POST #0143 - oldcoboler
          POST #0147 - Sifonet
          POST #0149 - swhitehe
          POST #0151 - catch22
          POST #0153 - Under the Cosh
          POST #0155 - Bakueagle
          POST #0156 - andyc2000
          POST #0157 - Underbase
          POST #0158 - opossum
          POST #0159 - lowpaidworker
          POST #0160 - kmpm
          POST #0163 - jenlemon
          POST #0164 - jonnieboy
          POST #0165 - Wellred100
          POST #0166 - Skorekaj
          POST #0168 - philinlondon
          POST #0169 - charlom
          POST #0178 - ratehik1
          POST #0179 - whiteisland
          POST #0182 - jma
          POST #0183 - bstar1
          POST #0190 - Cerbera
          POST #0194 - Berner
          POST #0195 - lilikins1
          POST #0199 - KRAMB
          POST #0200 - MinHeadRoom
          POST #0203 - AllenTaylor
          POST #0206 - Geeves
          POST #0207 - neo222
          POST #0212 - GoneSurfing
          POST #0213 - daggas66
          POST #0214 - Sting
          POST #0215 - lorry
          POST #0216 - Andy123
          POST #0217 - morris3372
          POST #0218 - gfunk
          POST #0219 - retrodeath
          POST #0220 - WelshRarebit
          POST #0221 - flyinghaggis
          POST #0222 - jbyrne
          BYPM #0000 - OG74

Possibles

POST #0043 - jrock
          POST #0045 - carling
          POST #0170 - ffs
          POST #0205 - RichieJ
          POST #0208 - meanttobeworking
          POST #0211 - jn3

Originally posted by regron View Post
          Do we know how many of these 101 have actually signed up ? I have.
          I have too and hoping many more will from this list. I took the view for such a small amount it was a no brainer to have access to professional advice and others views. I can't get access to the professionals like Webberg can, he has years of experience and contacts that are unavailable to many of us. HMRC will listen to a group of size, individuals have no chance on their own imho.

It's a numbers game and hope those that pledged feel the same.
          http://www.dotas-scandal.org LCAG Join Us

Comment

Thanks webberg. Am I right in assuming that with my participation in BG my details would be put forward to hmrc and that would qualify as being engaged with them prior to the end of June deadline. Even if it only buys us until the end of September to have agreed terms?

Comment

Thanks webberg. Am I right in assuming that with my participation in BG my details would be put forward to hmrc and that would qualify as being engaged with them prior to the end of June deadline. Even if it only buys us until the end of September to have agreed terms?
              In short: No. If you want to engage with HMRC before the CLSO deadline, you have to do this yourself.
              First, the deadline is just around the corner. Second, BG will not volunteer any of your specifics to HMRC. Third, this is not the concept of BG to liaise with HMRC re member' specifics.

If you want WTT / Webberg to act for you in that capacity, I am sure they can do that, but that would be outside BG.

(Graham, if any of the above is incorrect, please do correct me)
              Help preserve the right to be a contractor in the UK

Comment

Thanks forgive my ignorance but in that case I assume I need to engage with hmrc in some way shape or form before the end of next week just to keep the dialogue open. But if BG isn't doing that and I engage myself then the payment terms will run their course with hmrc and they will demand their money long before an agreement is reached for BG. We all know that hmrc will never give a refund to those that have paid if an agreement is made with BG and they were a member of BG. Maybe I am missing something here.

Comment

Thanks forgive my ignorance but in that case I assume I need to engage with hmrc in some way shape or form before the end of next week just to keep the dialogue open. But if BG isn't doing that and I engage myself then the payment terms will run their course with hmrc and they will demand their money long before an agreement is reached for BG. We all know that hmrc will never give a refund to those that have paid if an agreement is made with BG and they were a member of BG. Maybe I am missing something here.
                  If you want to engage with HMRC as a sign of good will on your end, then just write to them stating that you want to register for the Settlement Opportunity. This is completely non-binding. HMRC will ask you for figures and various info, and communicate their settlement offer at some point. You will then be free to take it or not.

You applying for the CLSO does NOT mean HMRC will not serve you an APN in the meantime. Indeed, many people in settlement talks have received then.

Finally, make no mistake: BG is not a short term campaign. The time horizon is up to 5 years. And we are not talking about the "Settlement Opportunity", we are talking about resolution of the underlying "liability".

NB: I'm not a BG spokesperson...but I guess Graham takes a break every now and then. I'm sure he'll add to the above or correct if necessary when he pops in here.
                  Help preserve the right to be a contractor in the UK

Comment

No.

You have to register via the HMRC portal.

BG cannot do this for you.

(No, me neither).

Comment

Originally posted by DotasScandal View Post
                      If you want to engage with HMRC as a sign of good will on your end, then just write to them stating that you want to register for the Settlement Opportunity. This is completely non-binding. HMRC will ask you for figures and various info, and communicate their settlement offer at some point. You will then be free to take it or not.

You applying for the CLSO does NOT mean HMRC will not serve you an APN in the meantime. Indeed, many people in settlement talks have received then.

Finally, make no mistake: BG is not a short term campaign. The time horizon is up to 5 years. And we are not talking about the "Settlement Opportunity", we are talking about resolution of the underlying "liability".

NB: I'm not a BG spokesperson...but I guess Graham takes a break every now and then. I'm sure he'll add to the above or correct if necessary when he pops in here.
                      Couldn't have put it better myself

(No, me neither).

Comment

Working...
                      X