• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Can you work out how much you owe based on day rate?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by famousfive View Post
    When I spoke at White Collar the rough formula I got was: take your daily rate in your case £325 * 45 weeks – 12.5% fees - £15k salary gives you the outstanding tax according to HMRC … then go to - w ww.listentotaxman.com/ to see tax due

THEN add interest

HMRC Calc Tax Due = (Loan amount for open years x 0.375)

Interest = HMRC Calc Tax Due x 0.25

Thanks again White Collar

So using my example,

325 (day rate) x 225 (45 weeks) = 72150 - 9018 - 15000 = 48,132

and using the calculator here based on 48, 132 w ww.listentotaxman.com - ListenToTaxman Tax Calculator 2016 / 2015 / 2015 UK Salary Calculator / Tax Calculator / Income Tax Calculator. Incorporates PAYE, national insurance, tax code, pensions and student loan repayments[/url]

The amount i should own should be

£9,184.80 + interest?

Have I got this right? or did I mess up the logic?
    Last edited by cojak; 29 June 2015, 15:22. Reason: removed link

Comment

Originally posted by chubacabra View Post
      10/11 tax year allowances were:

Personal Allowance: £6475
      Basic Rate (20%) £35000
      Higher Rate (40%) up to £150000
      Even Higher Rate (50%) over £150000

Only reason you'd be taxed at 50% is if your income was over £150,000 for that year not including the loan.

If not look at your overall income for that year - that includes income from anywhere else that you put on your tax return - e.g. rental income from a property and then use the above allowances to see where you're at.
      No, my total income for the year was under £80K. No other sources of income. Good to know that I should not be taxed at 50%

Comment

Have White Collar commented on how much you owe?

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
          Have White Collar commented on how much you owe?
          They would not commit to an amount, though said I should use the above calculator, and it comes to over £9K.

Cannot believe all this time I thought I owned double what I actually did. At least that makes it somewhat better....

Comment

Originally posted by notsofun View Post
            No, my total income for the year was under £80K. No other sources of income. Good to know that I should not be taxed at 50%
            Yep much better!

Whichever route you decide to go try to get copies of your bank statements for all of the years you've potentially got coming. Reconcile them and get the totals for each tax year broken down by salary element and loan element.

If your figures don't match what HMRC say they will want some form of proof.

Comment

So using my example,

325 (day rate) x 225 (45 weeks) = 72150 - 9018 - 15000 = 48,132

and using the calculator here based on 48, 132 w ww.listentotaxman.com - ListenToTaxman Tax Calculator 2016 / 2015 / 2015 UK Salary Calculator / Tax Calculator / Income Tax Calculator. Incorporates PAYE, national insurance, tax code, pensions and student loan repayments[

The amount i should own should be

£9,184.80 + interest?

Have I got this right? or did I mess up the logic?
              Assuming that in this example your salary was £15,000, then after PA of £6,475, you have taxable income of £8,525 from which tax should have been deducted of £1,705.

If you have "other income" of £48,132 you would pay tax of 20% on £28,875 and 40% on £19,257 = £13,476 (and change).

I can see where you got £9,184 from BUT the salary of £15,000 is taxable and has already taken up all your allowances.

You get a better answer if you enter £63,132 as salary and deduct what should have taken from the PAYE amount.

Sorry to burst the bubble
              Best Forum Adviser & Forum Personality of the Year 2018.

(No, me neither).

Comment

Interest will be around 10% for a 2010/11 liability assuming:

1. Due date is 31/1/12
                2. No surcharges

NIC? Arguable.

IHT? Arguable.

(No, me neither).

Comment

Originally posted by webberg View Post
                  Assuming that in this example your salary was £15,000, then after PA of £6,475, you have taxable income of £8,525 from which tax should have been deducted of £1,705.

If you have "other income" of £48,132 you would pay tax of 20% on £28,875 and 40% on £19,257 = £13,476 (and change).

I can see where you got £9,184 from BUT the salary of £15,000 is taxable and has already taken up all your allowances.

You get a better answer if you enter £63,132 as salary and deduct what should have taken from the PAYE amount.

Sorry to burst the bubble
                  Thank you so much you have actually been really helpful. That makes sense.

My bubble is still a lot happier knowing that its is not £22500 which is what the letter was for.

And looking into it the exact loan amount is £43K . when you say deduct the PAYE amount, is that the tax due on 15K?

so is that £58K (43+15) which is tax = £13132 - £1700 (from what I would have paid on 15k)= 11432

Comment

My bubble is still a lot happier knowing that its is not £22500 which is what the letter was for.

And looking into it the exact loan amount is £43K . when you say deduct the PAYE amount, is that the tax due on 15K?

so is that £58K (43+15) which is tax = £13132 - £1700 (from what I would have paid on 15k)= 11432
                    Guys it really is quite simple to calculate your liability for any given year. Simply add your salary and loans together and use an online tax calculator for that year to work out your tax. It's as Webberg described.
                    Remember you would have paid some tax already so you need to negate that from the calculators tax value - use your P60 to find out what tax you have paid already.

Comment

Yes I think that's a viable calculation.

Be aware that HMRC calculation often says loan = £43k, top marginal rate = 40%, therefore due = £17,200.

Muppets.

(No, me neither).

Comment

Working...
                      X