• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Overdrawn Capital Account Scheme (Aston Mae / Glen Mae / Procorre)

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How about asking someone at Procorre for their opinion on all of this? They say they are knowledgeable on these structures .. {it amazes me that no one from Procorre is reading this forum}

Procorre recommend these structures. They really ought to have a plan for April 2019 [do they?]
    Last edited by dog; 30 April 2018, 18:27.

Comment

Originally posted by Iliketax View Post
      I would say that would be a helpful factor, especially if it ever gets to the FTT. One of the phrases I like is "viewed realistically" and I certainly would be making very clear that, viewed realistically, I was not carrying on a trade as a self-employed person.
      It sounds helpful, but the spectre of the loan charge and the settlement deadlines are making it hard to play the long game on this one.

Comment

Originally posted by dog View Post
        How about asking someone at Procorre for their opinion on all of this? They say they are knowledgeable on these structures .. {it amazes me that no one from Procorre is reading this forum}
        No-one from Procorre is replying to this forum. You don't know if they are reading it or not.
        "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
        - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
          No-one from Procorre is replying to this forum. You don't know if they are reading it or not.
          Yes, I don't know if procorre are reading this or not. I was being naive that organisations care about what people say of them. Guess procorre don't care.

Comment

Profit Share Period

Originally posted by Smurfburger View Post
            I have just had an email from Glen May stating that latest letters relate to the period up to April 2016.
            Smurfburger - did Glen May reissue your letter with the coverage dates on it?
            I assume they told you it covers 12/13, 13/14, 14/15 & 15/16?

Getting back on track; if we keep declaring the Profit Share figures on our tax returns, and paying the associated tax, surely that satisfies HMRC in regards to contested monies owed = PROBLEM GONE!

Comment

Originally posted by TroyT View Post

Getting back on track; if we keep declaring the Profit Share figures on our tax returns, and paying the associated tax, surely that satisfies HMRC in regards to contested monies owed = PROBLEM GONE!
              That all hinges on the idea that it's entirely plausible to declare 'profits' 5-6 years after the fact, which if it was the case, HMRC would surely not have sent enquiry letters and raised discovery assessments retrospectively for the period in question. Plus, you could say it's more advantageous paying tax within your unused income bands at lower levels in the case of a DA/CLSO2, than it is having arbitrary profit allocations dumped on you when the LLP feels like it.

And of course, does the LLP still exist? Are you still a member? Which casts even more doubt on things.

Comment

Originally posted by nucastle View Post
                That all hinges on the idea that it's entirely plausible to declare 'profits' 5-6 years after the fact, which if it was the case, HMRC would surely not have sent enquiry letters and raised discovery assessments retrospectively for the period in question. Plus, you could say it's more advantageous paying tax within your unused income bands at lower levels in the case of a DA/CLSO2, than it is having arbitrary profit allocations dumped on you when the LLP feels like it.

And of course, does the LLP still exist? Are you still a member? Which casts even more doubt on things.

So that’s a solid “maybe” then (in your opinion)
                Just another grey area. That’s unusual for tax.

In saying that, it still seems plausible...and defendable (in my opinion).

I’m stuggling to figure out your stance:

Are you thinking; don’t declare the Profit Share figures and subsequently, don’t pay any additional tax in the hope/belief that it will all go away?

Or, declare the Profit Share and pay the tax on it?

Or are you leaning towards; just pay whatever tax figure HMRC decide is the outstanding amount?
                Last edited by TroyT; 1 May 2018, 08:35.

Comment

Glen May LLP Profit Share Letters

Originally posted by nucastle View Post

It is plausible to defer declaration of profit share. However, a new legislation, with effect from April 2019, prevents the deferral of profit share. It also dictates that any outstanding years have to be declared. I suspect that is why Glen May has grouped multiple years together in this penultimate letter.

Comment

Originally posted by TroyT View Post

I contacted Glen May to ask the period covered and they replied to say it was up to April 2016. The letter does not state it. However, it will all be declared against the 2017/2018 tax year anyway.

I am hopeful that declaring the profits will address some of the enquiries into these years. HMRC might contest the figures but at least tax is being paid, which is what has been missing previously.

Comment

Originally posted by Smurfburger View Post
                      I contacted Glen May to ask the period covered and they replied to say it was up to April 2016. The letter does not state it. However, it will all be declared against the 2017/2018 tax year anyway.

I am hopeful that declaring the profits will address some of the enquiries into these years. HMRC might contest the figures but at least tax is being paid, which is what has been missing previously.
                      Presumably you'll need to be armed with a statement of your current capital overdrawn account balance, which one would assume should be easily obtained from your LLP, as part of the 2019 loan charge declaration. I can see the logic in paying the tax as you are getting these 'profit allocations', but I'm guessing that something more official *cough* than just taking LLP overdrawn account payments and reducing them by the profit allocation amounts, is not the same as being provided proper balances from the LLP.

My fear is that HMRC simply state that despite paying this tax in good faith, that they need more proof than what is being stated to them. Obviously playing worse case scenario here, but hey, we are living in those kind of times.

I've never had any proper accounts, or statements, despite being promised them.

Comment

Working...
                      X