• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

HMRC & Settlement

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HMRC & Settlement

Phoned HMRC today to chase them on a case where we have registered the client's interest to settle. Despite the fact that we have an email trail and the normal acknowledgment of receipt from HMRC, they couldn't find any trace of it. I have no reason to believe its anything other than a one off but as I'm sure nobody wants to get to June and have to hold an argument about whether you registered interest or not, it may be worth asking your advisor to double check if it gets close to the deadline and you haven't heard anything back. The fact that we had the acknowledgment saved helped todays discussion and tbf they apologised and are sorting it out. I only mention this as, like I said, nobody wants to have a stressful conversation after the deadline.

Originally posted by phil@dswtres View Post
    Phoned HMRC today to chase them on a case where we have registered the client's interest to settle. Despite the fact that we have an email trail and the normal acknowledgment of receipt from HMRC, they couldn't find any trace of it. I have no reason to believe its anything other than a one off but as I'm sure nobody wants to get to June and have to hold an argument about whether you registered interest or not, it may be worth asking your advisor to double check if it gets close to the deadline and you haven't heard anything back. The fact that we had the acknowledgment saved helped todays discussion and tbf they apologised and are sorting it out. I only mention this as, like I said, nobody wants to have a stressful conversation after the deadline.
    HMRC merely meeting expectation. And HMG thinks they should have more powers...

Comment

Be aware that settlement was being dealt with by case officers but we were told a couple fo weeks ago that they are now consolidating the work into a new team.

That will lead to the sort of "missing" problem Phil above refers to.

It will also delay everything by at least 4 to 6 weeks.
      Best Forum Adviser & Forum Personality of the Year 2018.

(No, me neither).

Comment

All my dealings with HMRC regarding loans has taken massive amounts of time. Nearly 2 years for me from HMRC sending out the initial demand letters to getting a settlement for 2012-14

They are extremely stretched and do not have the resources to handle all the influx of requests that are going to hit them.

As a result, things will get lost and they will act as a sausage factory with little emotion or care for individuals.

Comment

Originally posted by catanonia View Post
          All my dealings with HMRC regarding loans has taken massive amounts of time. Nearly 2 years for me from HMRC sending out the initial demand letters to getting a settlement for 2012-14

They are extremely stretched and do not have the resources to handle all the influx of requests that are going to hit them.

As a result, things will get lost and they will act as a sausage factory with little emotion or care for individuals.
          I suggest we all start inundating HMRC with emails requesting individual year figures, allowances of individual years etc. etc.
          Do it from a bogus email account - let's just bombard them with spam requests for info - [email protected]

Comment

overwhelmed with reading matter

phil@dswtres can you PM me please for a chat about the usual (LC19, settlement options, etc)?

I am new to the forum, reading avidly through all the posts, and seeking advice, having spoken to the (now) infamous Vanquish mob earlier today and been none too impressed. I do not appear to have permission yet to PM you myself, hopefully the admin will sort this out shortly.

My own accountant (who introduced me to and recommended AML way back in 2009) is not being particularly helpful - nor responsive, for that matter!

Thanks.

p.s. I have also registered with WTT for a call with them too but we are playing phone tag today...

Comment

Originally posted by superbean View Post
              phil@dswtres can you PM me please for a chat about the usual (LC19, settlement options, etc)?

I am new to the forum, reading avidly through all the posts, and seeking advice, having spoken to the (now) infamous Vanquish mob earlier today and been none too impressed. I do not appear to have permission yet to PM you myself, hopefully the admin will sort this out shortly.

My own accountant (who introduced me to and recommended AML way back in 2009) is not being particularly helpful - nor responsive, for that matter!

Thanks.

p.s. I have also registered with WTT for a call with them too but we are playing phone tag today...
              Hi, as you’re a new member to the forum its not letting me PM you. It would be breaking forum rules if I started providing contact details on here so I’m afraid best I can do is state that google is your friend!

Sorry for rubbish reply!
              Phil

Comment

Originally posted by phil@dswtres View Post
                Hi, as you’re a new member to the forum its not letting me PM you. It would be breaking forum rules if I started providing contact details on here so I’m afraid best I can do is state that google is your friend!

Sorry for rubbish reply!
                Phil
                Google is indeed my friend, contacting via other avenue, thanks!

Comment

I personally wouldn't leave it too close to the deadline to double check, as webberg mentions, consolidation to a new team will have an impact of their ability to deal with that activity as well as the deluge from contractors/advisers et al...

Comment

Suggestion

Don't just register your interest by email.

Send HMRC a letter, and use special guaranteed delivery.

Comment

Working...
                    X