• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Loan Charge in PMQ's today.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I would say that 75% of the people I know in the tax world, arrived here by accident.

Personally, I joined the Civil Service a long time ago. I was offered three posts, one of which was in a warm office in the middle of winter, Inland Revenue.

I took it because I didn't want to freeze my bits off on Salisbury plain.

To my surprise (and my then manager's) I found I liked it and was reasonably good at it (or at least not so bad that it showed).

My respects to those who made a conscious decision to get into tax.
    Best Forum Adviser & Forum Personality of the Year 2018.

(No, me neither).

Comment

Originally posted by webberg View Post
      I would say that 75% of the people I know in the tax world, arrived here by accident.

Personally, I joined the Civil Service a long time ago. I was offered three posts, one of which was in a warm office in the middle of winter, Inland Revenue.

I took it because I didn't want to freeze my bits off on Salisbury plain.

To my surprise (and my then manager's) I found I liked it and was reasonably good at it (or at least not so bad that it showed).

My respects to those who made a conscious decision to get into tax.
      Are you still only reasonably good or are you beating the HMRC good? Just wondering :-)

Comment

Originally posted by dammit chloe View Post
        Are you still only reasonably good or are you beating the HMRC good? Just wondering :-)
        I think that's for others to say.

My background is out there in public. HMRC/private practice/banks/tax house/recovery business/WTT.

I'm not a magic circle tax lawyer but equally I don't charge £1k (or more) and hour.

I'm not Big 4 trained or have worked there (with them yes, but not as one of them) but given that they ran for the hills on tax schemes a decade ago, I have more recent experience.

I don't want to "beat" HMRC. I want the rule of law to be applied because that is the only way in which everybody gets treated fairly.

Am I good enough to achieve that? Time will tell.
        Best Forum Adviser & Forum Personality of the Year 2018.

(No, me neither).

Comment

Working...
        X