• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Loan Charge stories in the FT

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not sure if it’s appropriate (mods, feel free to delete if it is not) but there’s an article in today’s FT humanising the aspect of the loan charges with various real stories.

Readers respond to ‘Living in the shadow of a tax scandal’ | Financial Times

Originally posted by meridian View Post
    Not sure if it’s appropriate (mods, feel free to delete if it is not) but there’s an article in today’s FT humanising the aspect of the loan charges with various real stories.

Readers respond to ‘Living in the shadow of a tax scandal’ | Financial Times

Good read, until the comments. It's a shame the public still don't fully understand. Accusing everyone of using underground illegal offshore tax avoidance schemes, the propaganda is working...

I think it made 9% difference to my take home. Purely for ir35 protection of the unknown, to concentrate on the actual job itself. The extra money only ended up in a SIPP (pension) anyway. Hardly champagne and hookers.

Comment

Originally posted by here4beer View Post
      The extra money only ended up in a SIPP (pension) anyway. Hardly champagne and hookers.
      As it's still in your SIPP, you can still use it on champagne and hookers after retirement. Don't lose hope.

Comment

Originally posted by kryten22uk View Post
        As it's still in your SIPP, you can still use it on champagne and hookers after retirement. Don't lose hope.
        The stock market 'crash' a few months back ended all that. The other half will be thrilled.

Comment

HMRC seem to be gradually giving more time to pay and softening stance on bankruptcy.

Comment

Originally posted by GreenMirror View Post
            HMRC seem to be gradually giving more time to pay and softening stance on bankruptcy.
            Giving all these highly paid contractors 7 years to pay so long as they are earning 30,000 or less. Artificial figleaf to appear considerate.

Comment

Originally posted by GreenMirror View Post
              Ask yourself why that is. Could it be that the amount of pressure that has been put on people to settle, along with the complete mis-understanding of what we all have stashed away has lead to nowhere near the take up in CLSO’s. Remember, CLSO1 was supposed to be a ‘one and only chance’.

They aren’t getting anywhere near enough takers, so have no choice really, it’s the next tactic to try and sweep up more money.

Don’t think for a minute they are doing it out of compassion, or as a favour.
              STRENGTH - "A river cuts through rock not because of its power, but its persistence"

Comment

Originally posted by here4beer View Post
                Good read, until the comments. It's a shame the public still don't fully understand. Accusing everyone of using underground illegal offshore tax avoidance schemes, the propaganda is working...

I think it made 9% difference to my take home. Purely for ir35 protection of the unknown, to concentrate on the actual job itself. The extra money only ended up in a SIPP (pension) anyway. Hardly champagne and hookers.
                Agreed. I don't think any of us went into all of this out of greed.

I chose my umbrella company (albeit naively) like I choose my car insurance. You don't go with a cheaper insurance premium provider out of greed, it just seemed like the best deal at the time. We were assured by the provider that it was legal (HMRC/QC approved ). If anything, it was mis-selling.

I was initially only intending to be on contract for a couple of months. Had I known I would be there for a number of years I would have definitely gone Limited. I'm sure others made the same decision down to convenience, not because of greed.

Now, years later, the victims of this are labelled as tax cheats by the general public. We were scammed, and then we were slandered as cheats. Whereas the truth is that none of this was to supplement a lavish lifestyle. The increment in the grand scheme of things was nominal, compared to going down the Limited route.

Comment

Originally posted by hudson View Post
                  Agreed. I don't think any of us went into all of this out of greed.

I chose my umbrella company (albeit naively) like I choose my car insurance. You don't go with a cheaper insurance premium provider out of greed, it just seemed like the best deal at the time. We were assured by the provider that it was legal (HMRC/QC approved ). If anything, it was mis-selling.

I was initially only intending to be on contract for a couple of months. Had I known I would be there for a number of years I would have definitely gone Limited. I'm sure others made the same decision down to convenience, not because of greed.

Now, years later, the victims of this are labelled as tax cheats by the general public. We were scammed, and then we were slandered as cheats. Whereas the truth is that none of this was to supplement a lavish lifestyle. The increment in the grand scheme of things was nominal, compared to going down the Limited route.
                  You're lucky. If it helps, I went down the limited company route. I now owe personal tax on the loan - which i knew about when settling. However I've since learnt I also need to pay 'readjusted' company corporation tax, which is about the same amount again.

I also fell for the marketing BS. HMRC Approved, QC opinion, full £2mill of insurance, all in the UK, etc etc.

The promoter is still trading and active today. But HMRC seem only interested in me. Work that one out.

Comment

When I signed up working for the banks in the Square Mile, I had to use one of these mobs that did loans. On the trading floor everyone including perm staff were paid in loans.

Comment

Working...
                    X