• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Declaring depreciated ccy loans - some specific questions

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dammit chloe View Post
    No. Mine admitted that due to depreciation they were waived/paid off but HMRC rules require reporting in the original , sterling, loaned amount. Hence that is the loan value.
    Actually you are correct in that the trust did tell me that the original amounts would need declaring and they gave me those; there was no mention of interest payments, but they didn't keep records going all the way back so only some loans included.

It's annoying as the interest payments came out of non DR income so by EBT lending back and then having LC applied to that amount, I'm being taxed on that money twice! Once when I got it and again by the LC.

But there is a £3000 fine for incorrect reporting I think and so it's quite a big risk to not declare all loans totally honestly.

EDIT - Is there an argument for declaring just the DR loans and ignoring the interest payment loans?
    Last edited by starstruck; 5 August 2019, 10:11.

Comment

Originally posted by starstruck View Post
      Actually you are correct in that the trust did tell me that the original amounts would need declaring and they gave me those; there was no mention of interest payments, but they didn't keep records going all the way back so only some loans included.

It's annoying as the interest payments came out of non DR income so by EBT lending back and then having LC applied to that amount, I'm being taxed on that money twice! Once when I got it and again by the LC.

But there is a £3000 fine for incorrect reporting I think and so it's quite a big risk to not declare all loans totally honestly.

EDIT - Is there an argument for declaring just the DR loans and ignoring the interest payment loans?
      I simply wouldn't go there. If the trust tells you the amount then that is the amount. Webberg is suggesting that all this was quite possibly a paper exercise in which case they are not real transactions. IMV you are over analysing.

If the transactions are not real then, IMV, you are a victim of fraud.

Comment

Be careful about the motives of the lender in claiming that a piece of tax legislation permitted, perhaps forced, them to reinstate loans.

I'm not a lawyer but to the best of my knowledge, a loan is subject to contract law and once certain actions have taken place, in order for them to be reversed, you need to base the reasons on contract law.

Tax law applies to tax situations and generally do not influence directly commercial or contract law scenarios.
        Best Forum Adviser & Forum Personality of the Year 2018.

(No, me neither).

Comment

Hmmm, looking again at my docs for one scheme I paid an interest cheque to the trustees and got a further loan back of most of the interest but for another scheme the main loan had interest deducted and then a further drawdown (part of the interest) added. So I never wrote them a cheque; it was a paper exercise.

Comment

Originally posted by webberg View Post
            Be careful about the motives of the lender in claiming that a piece of tax legislation permitted, perhaps forced, them to reinstate loans.

I'm not a lawyer but to the best of my knowledge, a loan is subject to contract law and once certain actions have taken place, in order for them to be reversed, you need to base the reasons on contract law.

Tax law applies to tax situations and generally do not influence directly commercial or contract law scenarios.
            You're talking about Venturis sending loan statements; I personally disagree they are "reinstating" the loans, I think they are just saying what needs to be declared for the LC. But that is a side issue not related to my question.

So how are you treating Horizon interest payments (and further drawdowns) when settling/declaring LC for your clients; you say you've never seen these interest payments, but you must have if you have Horizon clients, which I know you do.

Comment

Originally posted by webberg View Post

I am very wary Webberg. In fact I questioned the man from the adventurous trust with a welsh sounding name to point me at the specific legislation and he simply gave my a link to the loan charge legislation not the key parts. I am not savvy enough to interpret it all that.

I have questioned the very fact of them not actually being outstanding from the very start if the contract is the contract.

I came very close to simply not getting involved/declaring anything, as one of your colleagues advised, but I am in a very precarious position financially and mentally so a long drawn out battle would probably end me one way or the other.

It keeps coming back to the Loan Charge being primary legislation and having provisions for this scenario supposedly. I have no inkling how any court would approach this from either a tax or a contract perspective. The Loan Charge, in intent, seems designed to simply brute force everything and everyone into submission.

Comment

Actually you are correct in that the trust did tell me that the original amounts would need declaring and they gave me those...
                If the trust has given you figures for the loans, why not just use them?

Comment

Originally posted by stonehenge View Post
                  Because they don't include the interest payment draw-downs and I don't want a £3k fine!

Comment

Originally posted by stonehenge View Post
                    IKR. enough problems without looking for more.

Comment

Because they don't include the interest payment draw-downs and I don't want a £3k fine!
                      If you've requested the loan amounts from the trust, and they've provided this in writing, then surely that should cover you?

Comment

Working...
                      X