• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Question for those repaying disguised loan tax to HMRC in instalments.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question for those repaying disguised loan tax to HMRC in instalments.

I'm repaying my disguised remuneration tax to HMRC over five years. I started repaying around 12-15 months ago.

Is there any way of obtaining a balance statement? I've received no HMRC correspondence since making repayments, other than a letter about 9 months ago to say one of the schemes may no longer fall under disguised remuneration.

Originally posted by Lonerous View Post
    I'm repaying my disguised remuneration tax to HMRC over five years. I started repaying around 12-15 months ago.

Is there any way of obtaining a balance statement? I've received no HMRC correspondence since making repayments, other than a letter about 9 months ago to say one of the schemes may no longer fall under disguised remuneration.
    Surely phoning them and asking would be the best idea? You have nothing to hide, nothing to worry about in speaking to them.

Comment

Originally posted by dangermaus View Post
      Surely phoning them and asking would be the best idea? You have nothing to hide, nothing to worry about in speaking to them.
      Yes, phoning is the most obvious way to obtain the information, but it's a bit clunky. One would assume a portal is available where balance can be checked in real time.

Either way, I spoke to HMRC this morning. They provided my balance and confirmed there was no way of checking how much is owed other than phoning up. HMRC also said they aim to contact anyone who has repaid (or is repaying) loan interest by the end of September, to confirm if a rebate is due following parliamentary review.

I assume the review refers to this: Disguised remuneration: guidance following the outcome of the independent loan charge review - GOV.UK

Comment

Originally posted by Lonerous View Post
        Yes, phoning is the most obvious way to obtain the information, but it's a bit clunky. One would assume a portal is available where balance can be checked in real time.

Either way, I spoke to HMRC this morning. They provided my balance and confirmed there was no way of checking how much is owed other than phoning up. HMRC also said they aim to contact anyone who has repaid (or is repaying) loan interest by the end of September, to confirm if a rebate is due following parliamentary review.

I assume the review refers to this: Disguised remuneration: guidance following the outcome of the independent loan charge review - GOV.UK
        Correct, but you shouldn't require HMRC to make you aware or not. There is enough information in that document for you to work out if you are due a rebate or not yourself. Better than waiting for HMRC, especially when they rarely meet their own deadlines !
        STRENGTH - "A river cuts through rock not because of its power, but its persistence"

Comment

I made some lump sum payments and last June I called and asked them for a recalculation....still waiting!

Comment

Originally posted by panders View Post
            I made some lump sum payments and last June I called and asked them for a recalculation....still waiting!
            Classic HMRC - they are just awesome... I'm close to settling and it has always been my fear that the chronic mismanagement will continue through the TTP process. In particular the affects that lump sum payments will have on forward interest etc.

Comment

You all need to be proactive in the situation where you are paying in instalments.

HMRC cannot, will not and probably is incapable of producing real time statements.

In theory the instalment plan could be part of your HMRC account, but for whatever reason, is not. I'm assuming either technical issues or HMRC hoping to collect more forward interest than they are entitled to/

Call, write, email, and generally pester them until you get the answers you want.

Remember:

SELF ASSESSMENT

Which means that YOU are in control of YOUR tax affairs.

HMRC will not prompt or prod you except where they think YOU owe them.

If you don't want to do this yourself, hire somebody who will.
              Best Forum Adviser & Forum Personality of the Year 2018.

(No, me neither).

Comment

So HMRC don't offer anyway of you finding out where you are with your balance apart from a clunky telephone service and they handled all the Loan data we sent them through a clunky unsecure spreadsheet that we sent via email - and yet they are up for 5 Britsh Computer Society awards, including IT Team of the year and IT Service and Support Professional of the Year.

I will not be renewing my BCS membership next year - that'll show 'em!
                There's no sure-fire set solutions. No short-cut through the trees ...

Comment

Originally posted by Speccy View Post
                  So HMRC don't offer anyway of you finding out where you are with your balance apart from a clunky telephone service and they handled all the Loan data we sent them through a clunky unsecure spreadsheet that we sent via email - and yet they are up for 5 Britsh Computer Society awards, including IT Team of the year and IT Service and Support Professional of the Year.

I will not be renewing my BCS membership next year - that'll show 'em!
                  Completely off-topic but it's worth wasting 2 minutes saying this

Being honest the creation of Gov.uk pages that meet all requirements is a very large amount of work (as you can tell by how often you fall back into very old pages that are left there because they still work).

And loan repayment balance requests are a very niche requirement which really doesn't justify the cost of development when there are a lot more pressing issues (such as all the old pages you continually hit as you move into an obscure HMRC form).

Oh and the HMRC work (by their own IT staff with Equal Experts and Cap Gem) is very deserving of awards. None of the current Covid schemes could have been implemented without the foundation work that has been done.
                  merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
                    Completely off-topic but it's worth wasting 2 minutes saying this

Being honest the creation of Gov.uk pages that meet all requirements is a very large amount of work (as you can tell by how often you fall back into very old pages that are left there because they still work).

And loan repayment balance requests are a very niche requirement which really doesn't justify the cost of development when there are a lot more pressing issues (such as all the old pages you continually hit as you move into an obscure HMRC form).

Oh and the HMRC work (by their own IT staff with Equal Experts and Cap Gem) is very deserving of awards. None of the current Covid schemes could have been implemented without the foundation work that has been done.
                    Those systems that were wide open to fraud and duly defrauded. Hmm, low expectations seem to be required all round these days.

Comment

Working...
                    X