• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

HMRC Enquiry letters on Loans from EBT and other schemes

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jbryce View Post
    I'm not an accountant, however the scare tactics are pretty obvious as pointed out on this thread.

I did PM you to suggest you get another view. My accountant has spoken to HMRC who suggested that the assertions made in the article were designed to scare rather than inform.

....but we should all be very very afraid.
    There really has been some garbage written on this forum by so called "professionals".

Comment

Deep Joy

Hi,
      My friend has just shown me this forum.

My accountant advised me several years ago to use an EBT..
      I have brown envelopes - and underpants

Short term I am looking at Bankruptcy this year, unless HMRC have a plan for flexible TTP arrangements.

Can I have PM rights please.

Comment

Originally posted by TGTBT View Post
        Hi,
        My friend has just shown me this forum.

My accountant advised me several years ago to use an EBT..
        I have brown envelopes - and underpants

Short term I am looking at Bankruptcy this year, unless HMRC have a plan for flexible TTP arrangements.

Can I have PM rights please.
        I hope bankruptcy was this simple. For what I have been told, unless and until you cannot in reality pay the debt, Bankruptcy does not work well. If you get better advice please let me know

Comment

For anyone who is still dithering about whether or not so see their MP before the May elections...

Taxman to raid joint accounts | Mail Online
          'Orwell's 1984 was supposed to be a warning, not an instruction manual'. -
          Nick Pickles, director of Big Brother Watch.

Comment

Go and see your MP

https://www.dotas-scandal.org/what-i...ill-committee/

It can be changed if enough MP's get lined up
            Last edited by varunksingh; 13 May 2014, 14:25.

Comment

Originally posted by varunksingh View Post
              https://www.dotas-scandal.org/what-i...ill-committee/

It can be changed if enough MP's get lined up
              I have a couple of friends that have DOTAS enquiries open in the same constituency. Is it better for us to visit separately or together? The MP is a Tory Chartered Acct so will at least understand the situation.

Also, does anyone have a good 'cheat sheet' of information that I can use - I'm sure there are posters on here that have a better grasp of the situation and can put it together in a better structured argument than I could (not being lazy honest)
              Last edited by dezze; 13 May 2014, 16:47.

Comment

Originally posted by dezze View Post
                I have a couple of friends that have DOTAS enquiries open in the same constituency. Is it better for us to visit separately or together? The MP is a Tory Chartered Acct so will at least understand the situation.

Also, does anyone have a good 'cheat sheet' of information that I can use - I'm sure there are posters on here that have a better grasp of the situation and can put it together in a better structured argument than I could (not being lazy honest)
                I would imagine going separately on short difference will have the biggest impact. It will give a felling of many getting affected instead of one.

As for the arguments, I would suggest pick a couple each and stick with short to the point discussion with MPs. Too much detail and it gets lost. I raised following 3
                1) An independent body should decide on follower notices not HMRC
                2) After collecting upfront tax, HMRC should have a deadline to reach agreement or take the case to tribunal
                3) Longer time frame should be provided to pay multi year upfront tax as 90 days is too short and this tax has not been proved to be due yet.

Hope above helps.

Comment

Meeting MPs

Personally, I would focus on the retrospective nature of the DOTAS legislation. That is what has given most concern to the Treasury Committee.

Treasury Committee publishes report on 2014 Budget - News from Parliament - UK Parliament

It would be ok if the legislation only applied to use of schemes going forward from 2014 onwards. But as it stands, it applies to tax years going back 10 years to 2004.

Comment

MP Visit

Meeting my MP this weekend. Printed out summary from a number of posts across various threads in this forum.

Hoping to explain the unfair suffering this legislation will bring, to me and my young family.

Particularly from the point that EBTs have yet to be proven illegal and the fact that should they stand the test of the court again, all the suffering my family would've gone through will be for no good reason.

Hope this plea opens his mind to the atrocipous possibilities this legislatioin has on normal law abiding people.

Shame he is not on the commitee list.

Comment

Originally posted by tax is taxing View Post
                      Meeting my MP this weekend. Printed out summary from a number of posts across various threads in this forum.

Hoping to explain the unfair suffering this legislation will bring, to me and my young family.

Particularly from the point that EBTs have yet to be proven illegal and the fact that should they stand the test of the court again, all the suffering my family would've gone through will be for no good reason.

Hope this plea opens his mind to the atrocipous possibilities this legislatioin has on normal law abiding people.

Shame he is not on the commitee list.
                      Be careful - EBT's are legal. So is dealing in used cars and investing in undiscovered talent. It's whether or not people are using them correctly and appropriately that's at issue.
                      Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Working...
                      X