• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Edge EBT thread

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by webberg View Post
    Pity then that the opposite argument has been made in Court and accepted.

Surely that has to be decided on a case by case basis.

An HMRC inspector can have an 'opinion' but it may not be valid.

If its just accepted that if HMRC say they have a new opinion & the validity of that opinion is never tested then its a get out of jail free card anytime they want to open an investigation and have left it too long.

The law itself becomes pointless if at anytime one party can win by saying "I have an opinion" and you just have to take their word for it.

Comment

Originally posted by evildrome View Post
      An HMRC inspector can have an 'opinion' but it may not be valid.

If its just accepted that if HMRC say they have a new opinion & the validity of that opinion is never tested then its a get out of jail free card anytime they want to open an investigation and have left it too long.

The law itself becomes pointless if at anytime one party can win by saying "I have an opinion" and you just have to take their word for it.
      Yes, yes, and yes. But ultimately, what you (and I) think about the pointlessness and unfairness of it all is completely irrelevant, as it doesn't make a difference to our situation.
      We can vent out all we want on these forums (and there has been no shortage of such posts, including on my part), but right now time would be better spent focusing on concrete action (like contributing to Big Group and others)
      Help preserve the right to be a contractor in the UK

Comment

PM access

I was an employee of Edge from 2005 until 2008 could you please grant me PM access.

Comment

Got my APN warning letter today. So, if I pay APN but do not "take advantage" of the settlement opportunity, what triggers the final decision about who keeps the money?

Comment

Originally posted by meanttobeworking View Post
            Got my APN warning letter today. So, if I pay APN but do not "take advantage" of the settlement opportunity, what triggers the final decision about who keeps the money?
            A very expensive and long drawn out Tribunal will decide.

I very much doubt any individuals would be able to afford to take HMRC to court on their own (and it wouldn't be worth it, Tribunal costs would far outweigh any APN value) so it will be one of the groups that takes the first step.

What we don't know is how HMRC will react if (when :-)) they lose. Will, in the case of an Edge group defeating them, HMRC concede defeat on all Edge cases or only those that were part of the group?

Sense dictates it will be all, but when have HMRC ever acted with any sense?!?

Comment

Originally posted by OldBrit View Post
              I was an employee of Edge from 2005 until 2008 could you please grant me PM access.
              Sorry, missed this one earlier. You now have access to the PM system.

Comment

Another ex edge employee...please can you grant me pm rights? Thanks

Comment

pm access

Can you also grant me pm access ? Another ex edger who receive an advanced warning notice

Comment

APN notice

Hello

I am also a new member who has recently received an APN from HMRC. Can you provide me with PM rights, please?

Comment

Pm access please

got the APN letter yesterday for edge 09-11, please PM add me. thanks.

Comment

Working...
                      X