• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Results of the public sector consultation is up

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
    Or if you base the CS jobs away from London, banks are less likely to nick them.
    Thats too simplistic and leads to distortions where the only big employer in an area is department X.
    Bath was surrounded by MOD and DWP sites at one time. They have mostly gone now.

Originally posted by seeourbee View Post
    A well paid PA on 70k ? Where is that then ?
    Might stagger you to know this but the MD's PA will be making 6 figures in most FT100 companies. Good PA has always been a lot harder to find than a tech bod.

Comment

But that's not really the outcome any of us want though
      No it's not, but it is what will happen.

Which is why anyone with a clue will be getting out of the PS sooner rather than later to avoid the rush.
      "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

How will the end client/agencies find out about the new rules?

I've just had an agent on the phone about a PS role starting in January for 6 months & she had no idea what I was talking about. If they don't read sites like this then how will this be communicated?

There are also four contractors on the floor above us & I bumped into one at lunch time & again he said "what you talking about, I'm staying here until June at least"! He emailed me after lunch to say the other 3 were too.

Comment

Originally posted by DaveB View Post
          No it's not, but it is what will happen.

Which is why anyone with a clue will be getting out of the PS sooner rather than later to avoid the rush.
          There could also be some cracking PS gigs in the aftermath if they have to put rates up to get things done.
          The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

I think the quote "ignorance of the law is no excuse" would apply here. The good agents will be educated in this. The bad ones.. well... I dread to think !

Those other 3 may well be staying. But they'll get taxed (presumably). I expect the drive and dissemination of information will be driven by the PS body.

Comment

I think the quote "ignorance of the law is no excuse" would apply here. The good agents will be educated in this. The bad ones.. well... I dread to think !

Those other 3 may well be staying. But they'll get taxed (presumably). I expect the drive and dissemination of information will be driven by the PS body.
              That's my point though. If the client/agent doesn't know to tax at source & the contractor carries on as normal who will eventually get hammered (if at all)? You could carry on years in the PS without anybody knowing.

Comment

It's the PS that makes payment, either through payroll of through a p2p process. Either way those teams in a PS body would get something from HMRC about it, just like they do with tax changes.

Comment

Originally posted by Gaz_M View Post
                  How will the end client/agencies find out about the new rules?

I've just had an agent on the phone about a PS role starting in January for 6 months & she had no idea what I was talking about. If they don't read sites like this then how will this be communicated?

There are also four contractors on the floor above us & I bumped into one at lunch time & again he said "what you talking about, I'm staying here until June at least"! He emailed me after lunch to say the other 3 were too.
                  I've had that since it was flagged up on here in summer it would be in the Autumn statement.

Only two of the agents I've talked to since have had a clue about it.

One understood why I wouldn't take the role and just left me alone, while the other came out with -"Well it will be in the private sector soon." I pointed out to him I was in a contract but if I wasn't that's the reason it would be unacceptable as the contract was absolutely no where near where I live.
                  "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

As I touched upon earlier, the level of ignorance from some Contractors (and indeed Agents) on Legislation that has a direct impact on their business is shocking. We are the minority here.
                    Last edited by MoroccanMole; 7 December 2016, 17:36.

Comment

Originally posted by MoroccanMole View Post
                      As I touched upon earlier, the level of ignorance from some Contractors (and indeed Agents) on Legislation that has a direct impact on their business is shocking. We are the minority here.
                      Of more concern is that the government haven't a clue of the true impact of this legislation.
                      The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Working...
                      X