• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Two Person Ltd - one half mainly focused on public sector - one not

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Dylan View Post
    Followed by the conclusion that it isn't necessarily true.
    Indeed but this is a very different case. In that link someone is trying to prove they are, which looks like it was a long difficult case. I don't think that has any reflection on the standard status. There are cases where contractors have successfully argued they are permies. Does that mean we are all permies?

As standard we are directors and have no employment contract and are not bound by NMW etc so not employees.

https://www.gov.uk/employment-status/director
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

The agency will deduct PAYE and NIC's based on that persons tax code

Hmm. Currently we're both fee earners and pay ourselves the same value (salary and dividend) irrelevant what "we've" earned.

We do this as it covers when one of is worked and the other isn't etc, expenses are paid depending on what we've spent individually.

But in the future this won't be possible, so does that mean that you can only be a one-person PSC from April if anyone (fee earner) has a contact with the Public Sector?

Comment

How you run your payroll and dividends is your business. Your situation is going to be more complicated with how you distribute your money but shouldn't mean you have to change your setup as far as I can see. It might be better for one person to go brolly or something but I don't see anything forcing you to change.

Comment

How you run your payroll and dividends is your business.

Yes I know, but that's because we get 100% of the invoice and the full VAT so we can, in future I can't see anyone can work both in and out within the same Limited business in the same tax year (not business year).

Some of us consider that we're in business (same company since 2001, numerous clients, multiple fee earners) not just avoiding tax :-)

Comment

Are you the same guy that's on a zero hours contract?

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
              Are you the same guy that's on a zero hours contract?
              Harsh.
              "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
                Harsh.
                I'm just asking because of the way he uses italics rather than quote. Never see it before and we've got 2 people doing it at the moment.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                  I'm just asking because of the way he uses italics rather than quote. Never see it before and we've got 2 people doing it at the moment.
                  Agent to lazy and cheap to pay for proper advice?
                  "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

No, just how I've always done it on another (non-work) forum. First contracting in 2003, with a break 2004-2008 while a c-level perm, mostly private sector. OH contracting since 2006, public sector the last 3 years.

Agent to lazy and cheap to pay for proper advice?

Nope, also asking our Accountants the same question, just like to see answers from multiple sources.

Comment

Any update on this setup as I'm in the same situation. 2 contractors under one limited company, one public sector, other private sector. I asked accountants but their answer was to wait for update from agency and client. So everyone wait for someone else and not giving any definitive answers.

Comment

Working...
                      X