Labour Commit to scrapping April 2020 roll out of IR35 reforms to the private sector Labour Commit to scrapping April 2020 roll out of IR35 reforms to the private sector
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Posts 1 to 10 of 26

TykeLike

Default Labour Commit to scrapping April 2020 roll out of IR35 reforms to the private sector

“Live a good life. If there are gods and they are just, then they will not care how devout you have been, but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by. If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them. If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones.”

― Marcus Aurelius

Super poster

Great, but they will tax dividends like income tax so it's a moot offer.

Should post faster

Wouldn't that still allow us to whack a lot of cash into the pension from the limited and reduce corp tax though? Still an advantage there.

Contractor Among Contractors

Quote Originally Posted by Unix View Post
    Great, but they will tax dividends like income tax so it's a moot offer.
    Yes...I'm on the fence whether it's a good thing overall (certainly part of me is inclined to think it is, even if it's accompanied by a big tax hike on dividends), but it does seem they'd be getting rid of IR35 because it would become irrelevant. Not necessarily a "win" for contractors, at least if tax minimisation is a primary concern.

Still gathering requirements...

I don't see in that where they commit to scrapping, or even delaying, it. Looks like more weasel words to me (anyone who has read Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time series, it sounds like what an Aes Sedai would say).

As for "they will tax dividends as income", I don't mind that. I don't mind paying more tax, in general. As I've said in various places, what I object to is being portrayed as a tax dodger, which even the existence of IR35 regs does for all contractors. I also object to the potential destruction of the contractor industry and the death of a way of working which suits me so well.

Contractor Among Contractors

Last edited by Contractor UK; 15th December 2019 at 15:51.

Still gathering requirements...

I'm still not convinced that there is an actual commitment there. It all looks too vague...

Fingers like lightning

Bearing in mind they entitle the article 'Scraping IR35', I think that says it all.

As for any commitment to scrapPing, she only says, 'Certainly we don't think it will, no' which then goes on to the need for finding a fair system for all. Hmm.

In another thread discussing the same, someone likens it to being asked if you want to be kicked in the head or in the plums (or some such). I think we're still there.
    Last edited by simes; 6th December 2019 at 15:20.

Should post faster

Quote Originally Posted by drmouse View Post
    I don't see in that where they commit to scrapping, or even delaying, it. Looks like more weasel words to me (anyone who has read Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time series, it sounds like what an Aes Sedai would say).

As for "they will tax dividends as income", I don't mind that. I don't mind paying more tax, in general. As I've said in various places, what I object to is being portrayed as a tax dodger, which even the existence of IR35 regs does for all contractors. I also object to the potential destruction of the contractor industry and the death of a way of working which suits me so well.
    You will when you find them taxed at PAYE rates AFTER already paying Corp Tax.