• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Clarification re IR35 Status. It's not good

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well, I'm more confused than I was when I first posted this. Cheers lads

Comment

Originally posted by JoJoGabor View Post
      QDOS are doing an excellent job of talking to clients who actually engage them. I met with a friend today who's client are working with QDOS to assess each role and where found inside IR35, to see how they can engage with contractors to ensure the role is outside IR35.
      My client is also engaging with them, so hopefully correct assessments will be made.

Comment

Ok - another interesting development.

Still no clearer on IR35 status & contract has been extended until Feb but it seems that the client will be making the determinations & if you're inside IR35 it's FTC but if you're outside the risk is pushed onto a preferred agency. That agency is not the agency through which I am currently contracted & guess what? In my Ts and Cs it clearly states that I can't work for the same client through a different agency within 6 months of my contract ending.

This whole thing is a complete shambles.

Comment

Originally posted by Martin Bank Holiday View Post

Still no clearer on IR35 status & contract has been extended until Feb but it seems that the client will be making the determinations & if you're inside IR35 it's FTC but if you're outside the risk is pushed onto a preferred agency. That agency is not the agency through which I am currently contracted & guess what? In my Ts and Cs it clearly states that I can't work for the same client through a different agency within 6 months of my contract ending.

This whole thing is a complete shambles.
          The handcuff only works if the agency can demonstrate a loss by you moving. If the client is terminating the engagement with the agency they can't make any more money so the handcuff won't stand. It's not a shambles if you understand what is happening.
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Martin Bank Holiday View Post

(my bolding)

Did they provide details on how that would work? The end client is the one making the determination and the one at risk if they haven't taken "reasonable care" in doing so. They can't just push that responsibility to a third party - they also own the risk.

Comment

Originally posted by Paralytic View Post
              (my bolding)

Did they provide details on how that would work? The end client is the one making the determination and the one at risk if they haven't taken "reasonable care" in doing so. They can't just push that responsibility to a third party - they also own the risk.
              Don't let facts get in the way of the agency's successful sales pitch.
              merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by LetterBox View Post
                The risk STAYS WITH THE END CLIENT....
                The financial risk moves to the agency if the client discharges their responsibilities i.e. makes & communicates a determination with reasonable care.

Comment

Originally posted by ComplianceLady View Post
                  The financial risk moves to the agency if the client discharges their responsibilities i.e. makes & communicates a determination with reasonable care.
                  That would be a non-compliant agency ( if they decide to go against the determination).

I believe the rules being brought in on April 2020 address non-compliance of an agency in the supply chain by having a transfer of liability. Basically means if you're an end client you've got to do due diligence to ensure everyone in the supply chain is following the determination, otherwise the end client can end up being liable ( if HMRC fail to collect what's owed to them from the agency).
                  Last edited by krytonsheep; 7 January 2020, 21:21.

Comment

Working...
                  X