• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

IR35 deductions - breach of contract

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

IR35 deductions - breach of contract

Surely, based on existing standard contracts, the agency will ordinarily be in breach of contract by making these deductions instead of paying gross?

Most agency>PSC contracts state a rate, say £500+vat per day, so agency is under a contractual obligation to pay £600 to that PSC, full stop. Although they have the statutory obligation to deduct the tax and ee's NICS, this is incompatible with the contractual obligation here so the PSC could separately sue them for that same amount, right? What am I missing here?

Originally posted by borisk66 View Post
    Surely, based on existing standard contracts, the agency will ordinarily be in breach of contract by making these deductions instead of paying gross?

Most agency>PSC contracts state a rate, say £500+vat per day, so agency is under a contractual obligation to pay £600 to that PSC, full stop. Although they have the statutory obligation to deduct the tax and ee's NICS, this is incompatible with the contractual obligation here so the PSC could separately sue them for that same amount, right? What am I missing here?
    You’re missing the change of legislation.

99.99% of the contractor population is now forced to go PAYE or Umbrella.

Where have you been for the last 3 years (or even 6 months)??
    "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
    - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

But where a contract is ongoing...

I think there are plenty of PSCs that will continue. But where a contract is ongoing from 6th April with the new IR35 changes, and the fee-payer (hirer or agency) is then obliged to make these deductions from the gross payment, surely they will be in breach of contract?

Comment

Originally posted by borisk66 View Post

Expect your contract to be terminated and a new one with the new payment terms to be provided for you to sign or walk away from.
        "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Originally posted by DaveB View Post
          Expect your contract to be terminated and a new one with the new payment terms to be provided for you to sign or walk away from.
          yes, but there is still the issue of deductions in April 2020 for work done in March under the existing contract. Posters here claim that most outfits in the public sector ensured that payments for work done in March were made before the 6th of April. I can't see that the sector was that efficient. There must have been some who were subject to this. I'd be contemplating a small claims court action.

Comment

Originally posted by JohntheBike View Post
            yes, but there is still the issue of deductions in April 2020 for work done in March under the existing contract. Posters here claim that most outfits in the public sector ensured that payments for work done in March were made before the 6th of April. I can't see that the sector was that efficient. There must have been some who were subject to this. I'd be contemplating a small claims court action.
            Agency's are very efficient when the only other option is unimaginable pain and a large bill that they themselves have to foot.
            merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
              Agency's are very efficient when the only other option is unimaginable pain and a large bill that they themselves have to foot.
              so do we know of anyone in the public sector who fell foul of this issue, i.e. had monies paid into their LTD CO. in April for work done in March and had PAYE deducted? I'd guess that before they'd be able to do that, the agency would have to know the NI no. of the contractor and I guess this could be a lever to ensure the agency pays before the 6th of April.

Comment

Originally posted by JohntheBike View Post
                so do we know of anyone in the public sector who fell foul of this issue, i.e. had monies paid into their LTD CO. in April for work done in March and had PAYE deducted? I'd guess that before they'd be able to do that, the agency would have to know the NI no. of the contractor and I guess this could be a lever to ensure the agency pays before the 6th of April.
                No because agencies did everything they could to avoid such situations occurring - for fear of unimaginable pain and and a large bill that they themselves would have to foot
                Last edited by eek; 22 January 2020, 13:54.
                merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

The current hot topic at industry events is indeed the timing. There is NO WAY an agency will run the risk of having to pay ERNIC on top.

I heard an interesting example yesterday - if the end client deems the contract outside but the agency knows it's false, the agency has to appeal. If the agency does and the client says 'oh yes quite correct' the time between the first decision and the appeal decision the agency is liable for any difference in tax that should have been paid (as long as client took reasonable care).

There are so many ways agencies could be on the hook so they simply will not risk it.

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
                    No because agencies did everything they could to avoid such situations occurring - for fear of unimaginable pain and and a large bill that they themselves would have to foot
                    ok, thanks. So I guess its worth asking nearer the time what provisions are being made if contracts are up until the end of March, as mine is.

Comment

Working...
                    X