• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Large law firm just sent out IR35 email

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Large law firm just sent out IR35 email

Just received an email stating the law firm is going to assess my IR35 status and outlined the steps to appeal if I disagree.

Just finished my first year contracting. Definitely late to the party and now faced with going back perm and losing half my salary. I am doing project based work and hope to stay outside. I am setting up a website and trying to act more like a real business, I am also trying to take on more work at the same time. Through sites like Upwork and similar.

Crazy thing is, if I go back to perm at a law firm i will go from sending £50k in taxes including VAT to HMRC and corp tax and personal tax, to less than £20k including national insurance. Remind me again how this war on contractors is going to generate more tax revenue for greedy HMRC?

You won't be losing half your salary. It will go up 3 or 4 fold.

Setting up websites to look like a real business is a waste of time unless you really have something to sell through it. Your average contractor doesn't.

Just doing project work doesn't really help your IR35 status on its own either. Permies do project work as well you know.

Wouldn't be Freshfields would it?

Why will you have to go perm at a law firm? If you are any good you should be able to go perm most places surely?
    Last edited by northernladuk; 29 January 2020, 02:34.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Ir35 type posts go in the IR35 reform sub section in accounting by the way. Some good info in there.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Moved.
        Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

If it is Freshfields, I'm not surprised. Tough not to be treated like a permie there as they don't get it. They also have AMS and Teksystems crawling all over the supply chain.

Comment

It is not Freshfields, but an equally large Law firm that i would rather not identify.

I can get another job perm but that is not the point is it?

What do you mean by "having something to sell through it"?

Also i don't think it is a waste of time, if i don't have a website then it will be more a challenge to sell through upwork and similar sites for additional income. Also I have another contract work that might require my service on an adhoc basis and don't want to be tied down to a perm job where I can't take days off to work elsewhere when I need to.

I am going to pursue outside IR35 status and HMRC can stick it

My accountant already changed my contract and outline steps that I need to adhere to be outside IR35. One of them is to basically act more like a business. Also my contract is for one single project and then when i get renewed that will be for another single project. i don't do any BAU or Ops work. I am just doing this one project, so that should be outside.

One interesting point from the email is that they said, if i am deemed inside, I can then appeal and if I lose the appeal, then they will deduct income tax and national insurance from my salary before I receive it but i will not be considered an employee or receive any benefits. So i assume they will be using their own umbrella company to do that? If it is the same rate, would that prevent me from claiming expenses?
            Last edited by PeterSim; 29 January 2020, 09:51.

Comment

From reading this thread I just wonder how many contractors out there are still in the dark with no knowledge whatsoever of what's happening.

Comment

You would have to be living under a rock to not know about IR35. I knew about IR35 before I even started contracting and my accountant gave me a 10 point list of indicators that puts contractors outside. Also they changed my contract before I started to make sure it would adhere to outside IR35.

I don't think inside IR35 is the end of the world, the tax is comparable to going LLC, it is not much different. My one colleague who has been contracting for years wants to setup his own umbrella company to get around this non-sense. I wonder how difficult that is?

The main issue is, not being able to claim expenses, from what I can see. Which considering the politicians are known for claiming ridiculous expenses, is a bit of a slap in the face towards the plebs. Alright for some I guess.

Comment

Originally posted by PCTNN View Post
                  From reading this thread I just wonder how many contractors out there are still in the dark with no knowledge whatsoever of what's happening.
                  A lot. Clients too. Given that the legislation will only start to take final form on 11 March, there will be three weeks for many companies to either take a final policy decision against contractors or to complete SDSs. Outside of the CUK bubble, it’s easy to underestimate the degree of headless chicken that is about to befall the contracting scene, particularly in mid-sized companies that weren’t forced to care before now. I would expect a surge in astonished n00bs around then.

Comment

Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post
                    A lot. Clients too. Given that the legislation will only start to take final form on 11 March, there will be three weeks for many companies to either take a final policy decision against contractors or to complete SDSs. Outside of the CUK bubble, it’s easy to underestimate the degree of headless chicken that is about to befall the contracting scene, particularly in mid-sized companies that weren’t forced to care before now. I would expect a surge in astonished n00bs around then.
                    https://www.contractoruk.com/forums/...ml#post2722013
                    "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
                    - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Working...
                    X