• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Short term contracts outside of IR35?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Short term contracts outside of IR35?

I haven't seen that anywhere. What will happen to consultancy-like Ltd that usually work for 6-8 months? (no more than 12).

Shouldn't these be outside IR35, especially if they're genuine services providers?

Where have you been the last 20 years? IR35 applies to any contract irrespective of length. Length of contract has nothing to do with IR35 status. If its a genuine agreement with proper contract and working practices.then it will be outside. If its not you've a risk of being found out if you are inside.

I'm a bit surprised to see a question like this with everything that is going on. Maybe I'm missing something here.
    Last edited by northernladuk; 3 February 2020, 11:47.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
      Where have you been the last 20 years?
      In various perm positions...

From what I gather though, the issue with the blanket ban is that most contractors were disguised employees etc etc... therefore illegit in terms of IR35, and this was the point of the spear that started this whole charade (or partly at least) with NIC and tax evasion and all. So since one worked in a company for 4 years, might as well employ him fully, and he'd accept.

However, when one's services are only needed for a short period of time, say 6 months, why would anyone hire him as a perm? That's my question, it would make sense if
      a) duration was only 6 months
      b) you are legitimately offering services outside IR35

Comment

Let me say it again for you.

Length of contract has nothing to do with IR35.

If you are, without question, outside you could contract there for decades if you wish.

If it is genuinely 6 months or whatever to deliver something and go it's a good pointer, but not a silver bullet in thst basis alone.

The question is... Are you really outside, like really really? If so nothing to worry about. You can put your head back im the sand and continue to ignore it.

I'd question how you know you are outside when you are having to ask questions like this.
        Last edited by northernladuk; 3 February 2020, 12:02.
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

I get it.

Would you hire someone for 6 months only?

Comment

Originally posted by Skag View Post
            However, when one's services are only needed for a short period of time, say 6 months, why would anyone hire him as a perm? That's my question, it would make sense if
            They won't. Clients will either hire FTCs or force contractors to work as "temps" via umbrella companies.
            ---

Former member of IPSE.

---
            Many a mickle makes a muckle.

---

Comment

In various perm positions...

From what I gather though, the issue with the blanket ban is that most contractors were disguised employees etc etc... therefore illegit in terms of IR35, and this was the point of the spear that started this whole charade (or partly at least) with NIC and tax evasion and all. So since one worked in a company for 4 years, might as well employ him fully, and he'd accept.

You are describing my contracting life - short term assignments due to my knowledge of a software package (and in particular the implementation of it) that clientcos would have no reason to (and not much prospect of) recruiting for.

However, as stated here duration is irrelevant. Just one example of how daft the whole thing is.

Comment

I get it.

Once again: "they won't".

Read some posts.
                ---

Former member of IPSE.

---
                Many a mickle makes a muckle.

---

Comment

I get it.

Maternity leave and sickness cover are two key examples of employing someone for short periods.

Back fill for projects where BAU resource is required elsewhere is another.

Comment

I get it.

No, I don’t have any jobs

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum

Comment

Working...
                    X