• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Are MSP also considered inside?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Collapse
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
    Long and short of it, the employee of BT doesn't use an intermediary so they are unaffected.

If BY uses a contractor who does use an intermediary then yes they are
    Technically the employees of my limited company do not use an intermediary. The employees are paid directly from the LLC. Now I have worked for BT and been placed at clients sites before and I always got paid from BT directly no matter where I worked. That is no different to working in your own limited company.

The only difference is that in the one I had more shares and was considered the director and the other I had shares but was not considered the director.

Comment

The term staff is my instance means permanent employees.

The permanent employees of consultancies are not affected by IR35.

The associates or contractors contracted by consultancies are affected by IR35.

I don't really know how clearer I can be without getting suspicious...
      "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
      - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by PeterSim View Post
        No I am being serious, I am sure there is something in competition law the prohibits making smaller companies being put at a disadvantage like this.
        There is provision in the draft legislation that says small companies are exempt.

Large companies making policy decisions about what type of worker they want in their business is not related to competition law. Therefore it will affect companies that cannot accommodate those policy changes, albeit that most of them are likely to be small.

IANAL

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
          There is provision in the draft legislation that says small companies are exempt.

Large companies making policy decisions about what type of worker they want in their business is not related to competition law. Therefore it will affect companies that cannot accommodate those policy changes, albeit that most of them are likely to be small.

IANAL
          Small companies in that context is referring to the clients not the limited companies (whether MSP or PSC) doing the work itself.

Comment

Originally posted by pr1 View Post
            ESM8045 - Employment Status Manual - HMRC internal manual - GOV.UK

Where the intermediary is a company, the following conditions must be satisfied for the legislation to apply:

the worker (or their associates) has a material interest in the company

“Material interest” is defined as meaning:

Beneficial ownership of, or the ability to control, directly or indirectly more than 5% of the ordinary share capital of the company; (...)
            What about your wife has 96% and she is director of you LTD. You have 4% and do the job, she does the admin.
            Humor me, why does IR35 apply in this case?

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
              The term staff is my instance means permanent employees.

The permanent employees of consultancies are not affected by IR35.

The associates or contractors contracted by consultancies are affected by IR35.

I don't really know how clearer I can be without getting suspicious...

Obviously I know that IR35 doesn't apply to permanent employees. You are confusing matters.

The question is whether permanent staff of consultancies (or is I call them MSP/PSC) contracted out to clients on fixed term contracts will be included in the IR35 audit done so by clients. I can't make it any clearer.

For example BT has a permie staff member, BT pick up a role at a law firm doing software upgrades. They place said BT employee on site at the client for 35 hours a week, he is paid by BT. From the perspective of the internal direct employee IT staff of the law firm he is a contractor. Whether he is contracting through BT or his own limited company, there is no difference. So if they are not being included in IR35 then they should be. All I am saying.

Comment

Originally posted by pscont View Post
                What about your wife has 96% and she is director of you LTD. You have 4% and do the job, she does the admin.
                Humor me, why does IR35 apply in this case?
                Because you won't get a contract as agents want you to be majority shareholder and pointless doing it as you only make 4% of the money.

Making stupid scenarios doesn't help anything.
                'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

So if they are not being included in IR35 then they should be. All I am saying.
                  That's nice. Thanks.

Can we close this thread now?

Comment

Obviously I know that IR35 doesn't apply to permanent employees. You are confusing matters.

The question is whether permanent staff of consultancies (or is I call them MSP/PSC) contracted out to clients on fixed term contracts will be included in the IR35 audit done so by clients. I can't make it any clearer.

For example BT has a permie staff member, BT pick up a role at a law firm doing software upgrades. They place said BT employee on site at the client for 35 hours a week, he is paid by BT. From the perspective of the internal direct employee IT staff of the law firm he is a contractor. Whether he is contracting through BT or his own limited company, there is no difference. So if they are not being included in IR35 then they should be. All I am saying.
                    I think you are wrong. It matters if they contract via BT (BT's staff/PAYE tax paid to the liking of the treasury) or not (even if own LTD's staff /PAYE tax paid at minimum if at all, but see >5% ownership).

Comment

Originally posted by pscont View Post
                      I think you are wrong. It matters if they contract via BT (BT's staff/PAYE tax paid to the liking of the treasury) or not (even if own LTD's staff /PAYE tax paid at minimum if at all, but see >5% ownership).
                      There is no 'think' about it but he won't listen. Even if he is right (cough) what does it matter?

Comment

Working...
                      X