• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Terminate before status assessment OR before March? Any difference?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Terminate before status assessment OR before March? Any difference?

* client doing status assessment on 27th Feb
    * rumors say client will blanket assess as inside
    * payments made in 2-10 days (max 14)
    * 1 week notice period (both parties)

My plan was to:
    * give notice on 6th March
    * terminate on 13 March
    * get last payment in by 27 March
    * then have 5 days of slack in case timesheets don't get approved immediately or agency has cashflow problems

I'm not sure what to do. I need the money so I'd like to milk it until 13 March, but at the same time I don't want to be assessed as inside.
    But does it even matter, since the contract will not be caught by the new rules anyway?
    Any risk to being assessed as inside when contract ends this tax year?

No. Not beyond the standard risk of random investigation which is the case right now anyway.

Might want to read up on the recent changes to payment dates by the way.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Yup, you can work right up to the end of the tax year and any payments in 20/21 are ok.

Comment

Just a note. The contract might not last till after the but if the role exists beyond and it assessed inside then the client as admitted its inside. This adds risk but you won't be there for HMRC to marry the two. As cojak says in her sticky. Risk with least first..

Going before determination - best. No comparison so old school investigation required

Determined inside but leave before - grounds for an investigation as client admits its always been inside so risk has gone up but you've gone. HMRC won't be able to find out.

Determine inside and stay. - HMRC have your name and evidence of outside inside so open season for an easy reaming.

OP is middle and is probably OK but don't forget the determination on the role he's been doing is there.
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Working...
        X