• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Rishi Sunak confirms IR35 reform is going ahead w/o any major changes

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dsc View Post
    I haven't confirmed that they won't know, I said that they don't need to know (as a government body they probably have access to way more than you think). It's all about flagging yourself up to the HMRC who has a history of investigating people even if they are doing nothing wrong. Why would you want to attract attention?

In the recent Glaxo case they just sent out letters to tulip ton of people, do you really think they had evidence and cases made against every single person? Of course not, they just went all "assume wrongdoing ask questions later" in like they normally do and it's up to you to prove them wrong.
    Ok, i'm obviously beating a dead horse here, but, with the lack of *any* evidence that HMRC could know if someone moved from outside -> inside (as was stated), I'm still convinved that they can't.

Yes, I accept, from a risk perspective, there is little difference between going outside -> inside and outside -> Umbrella, but i never said otherwise.

Its interesting we've heard very little (on these boards) about those at GSK that got the letters.

Comment

Originally posted by Paralytic View Post
      Ok, i'm obviously beating a dead horse here, but, with the lack of *any* evidence that HMRC could know if someone moved from outside -> inside (as was stated), I'm still convinved that they can't.

Yes, I accept, from a risk perspective, there is little difference between going outside -> inside and outside -> Umbrella, but i never said otherwise.

Its interesting we've heard very little (on these boards) about those at GSK that got the letters.
      And our point is that if it looks like a sheep HMRC are going to treat it like a sheep even though 1 in 10(100/1000) of the sheep is actually a pig in a sheep costume.

And the lack of news from GSK tells us nothing other than HMRC will take their time before moving to the next stage as that is part of their methodology - scare people then do nothing for 9 months then scare again..
      Last edited by eek; 12 March 2020, 13:16.
      merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by Paralytic View Post

There is evidence - eek explained how easy it is to spot a change in circumstances and HMRC doesn't need more than this to send you a nice letter.

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
          No, you add NI receipts and oh look what does it tell me

2019 - NI number - NI paid £400
          2020 - NI number - NI paid £17000
          Would changing the intermediary remedy this problem?
          Most clients have more than 1 agency that supplies contractors.

Comment

Originally posted by abz2020 View Post
            Would changing the intermediary remedy this problem?
            Most clients have more than 1 agency that supplies contractors.
            Could you explain to us what your thinking is around changing and agent will affect NI paid?
            'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
              Could you explain to us what your thinking is around changing and agent will affect NI paid?
              Moves you from one agency to another so looks like you've changed contract.

One large agency holding group (you can guess the name) did exactly that back in 2017 as that was how they had segmented things.

I doubt any agency would willingly do that in this scenario though - in the example above it was an internal holding company decision.

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
                Moves you from one agency to another so looks like you've changed contract.

One large agency holding group (you can guess the name) did exactly that back in 2017 as that was how they had segmented things.

I doubt any agency would willingly do that in this scenario though - in the example above it was an internal holding company decision.
                I suspect that HMRC won't look at that. They'd simply look at NI Number, Year, Month, NI Paid and look for the changes from 2018-2022 at a guess; watch the change as the 12 month spikes go to monthly steady payments and it's a target.

You're before and after April 6th status goes one of four ways:
                Inside -> Inside - nothing to see here, business as usual
                Inside -> Outside - as much chance of finding unicorn poop on Mars
                Outside -> Outside - anyone with a CEST tool determination of outside and client confirmation will probably be right at the back of the queue
                Outside -> Inside - probably switched from Aston Carter, TEK, etc to an Umbrella Company as your intermediary report source. These will be the vast majority of those still contracting and will be the main targets. They'll be looking at who carries on for a while - probably wait for Feb 2021 to get the SAs etc over the line before identifying targets. Who knows exactly but it's not going to be pleasant for those that have gone down this route and been at the same client for some time.
                The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

In terms of deemed payments, they don't need to look for anything indirect as there's a new RTI flag for when IR35 deemed payments are being made by the Fee Payer.

Comment

Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post
                    In terms of deemed payments, they don't need to look for anything indirect as there's a new RTI flag for when IR35 deemed payments are being made by the Fee Payer.
                    Ready To Investigate?
                    The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
                      Ready To Investigate?
                      Well they need flags to cover all circumstances:-

Agency reporting says if you move from a PSC to an umbrella company
                      Deemed payments say you moved from a PSC to deemed payments by the agency.

Both set the same worth investigating flag on the account if the Agency remains the same.

Now the Deemed payments flag is probably there as a trigger for other consolidation reports but hey it exists and can be used for all appropriate uses.

Comment

Working...
                      X