• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Here's a thing...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Here's a thing...

CEST assessment rejected by judge as contractor recoups unlawfully deducted tax

Apologies if posted elsewhere.
    ...my quagmire of greed....my cesspit of laziness and unfairness....all I am doing is sticking two fingers up at nurses, doctors and other hard working employed professionals...

Originally posted by Lockhouse View Post
    18 months old, but interesting. But, it didn't quite "open the floodgates", as was suggested back then, but perhaps the April changes will make it more likely.

However, this employment hokey-cockey is exactly why so many companies are simply banning PSCs rather than making determinations.
    Last edited by Contractor UK; 9 April 2020, 20:31. Reason: Name removed

Comment

That is very interesting.

If I were a client, I would see this as damned if you do and damned if you don't.

Assess as inside: risk of employment tribunal like this.
      Assess as outside: risk of being held liable for tax that should have been deducted.

Fixed term employment contracts (incl. pro-rata employment rights) look like the least risky option from client perspective.

Comment

Originally posted by SouWester View Post
        That is very interesting.

If I were a client, I would see this as damned if you do and damned if you don't.

Assess as inside: risk of employment tribunal like this.
        Assess as outside: risk of being held liable for tax that should have been deducted.

Fixed term employment contracts (incl. pro-rata employment rights) look like the least risky option from client perspective.
        I believe this is only a temporary thing as the Key information documents that come into play from April should ensure everyone knows what is happening with the money so the argument won't wash much longer..

But it does mean there are a number of agencies and end clients who are about to get a nasty surprise as I believe Dave has a number of cases lined up.

And once again where was IPSE in this fight?
        merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

link to barristers opinion on linked in

IR35 - Risk to Client / Business

"The IR35 test is the same test as the common law test for employment."

Comment

Originally posted by DodgyAccountant View Post

Point 1 is a nasty one there that even I hadn't thought about...

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
              I believe this is only a temporary thing as the Key information documents that come into play from April should ensure everyone knows what is happening with the money so the argument won't wash much longer..
              I did not know about KIDs so thanks for that.

However, from reading the story the claimant was aware that employer NI was going to be deducted before he took the contract. So, even if it's stated up front, does that mean the employment tribunal route is no longer valid?

Hooeee. Its going to take some time for all this to settle down isn't it... Taking refuge in a permie role looking more and more attractive.

Comment

Originally posted by SouWester View Post
                I did not know about KIDs so thanks for that.

However, from reading the story the claimant was aware that employer NI was going to be deducted before he took the contract. So, even if it's stated up front, does that mean the employment tribunal route is no longer valid?

Hooeee. Its going to take some time for all this to settle down isn't it... Taking refuge in a permie role looking more and more attractive.
                It may well be valid - I suspect it's going to be harder once it dawns on agencies the mess they created for themselves back in 2017...

Comment

Originally posted by DodgyAccountant View Post

Thanks for sharing that, I hadn't seen it. Definitely food for thought. Simply written but not a simple topic.

Comment

Originally posted by Lockhouse View Post
                    They have updated CEST to v2 since then, so in HMRC's view problem solved
                    Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
                    I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Working...
                    X