• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

IR35 and Covid-19, the perfect storm?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

IR35 and Covid-19, the perfect storm?

Surely with the possibility of the government isolating cities, forcing people to work from home, closing down public transport and banning the gathering of 5000 people or more they should postpone the implementation of the IR35 legislation. These two forces combined could cripple the UK economy.

The government talks about trying to recruit recently retired doctors and nurses, I'm assuming on a "inside IR35" contract? I suspect they won't get many.

With the uncertainty of the full impact of covid-19, it is not the right time to add IR35 into this complex situation.

Comment

Let’s get this punted to General so we can give the OP a righteous kicking.

Comment

Originally posted by jlcook99 View Post
        Surely with the possibility of the government isolating cities, forcing people to work from home, closing down public transport and banning the gathering of 5000 people or more they should postpone the implementation of the IR35 legislation. These two forces combined could cripple the UK economy.

The government talks about trying to recruit recently retired doctors and nurses, I'm assuming on a "inside IR35" contract? I suspect they won't get many.

With the uncertainty of the full impact of covid-19, it is not the right time to add IR35 into this complex situation.
        Not a chance , I have more chance of appearing in front of the Firing Squad?

Comment

Originally posted by Oven Ready View Post
          Not a chance , I have more chance of appearing in front of the Firing Squad?
          Still a legal form of punishment in China

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
            Still a legal form of punishment in China
            Now, Now We don't want to give Boris & Dom in the bungalow any ideas do we now !

Comment

Of course, the OP on this thread is perfectly correct. If this government was comprised of mature grown-ups they would have already announced that the impending budget was suspended until next year at the earliest. But they are not, they seem to have no idea what's coming.

There is going to be a wave of business failures, bank failures and sovereign defaults like we have never seen before. Our global economy has become intertwined with just-in-time supply chains and zero-hour contract employment and is far too fragile to withstand this shock at the peak of a credit bubble of monumental proportions.

Things are going to get very bad and the muppets that govern us are going to make things even worse.

Comment

it looks like in this perfect storm, those on the bench will remain on bench for the next 4-5 months or till this virus threat has passed
                if you have a contract extend it inside ir35 or you will be on the bench for a few months

Comment

Originally posted by Andy2 View Post
                  it looks like in this perfect storm, those on the bench will remain on bench for the next 4-5 months or till this virus threat has passed
                  if you have a contract extend it inside ir35 or you will be on the bench for a few months
                  Assuming they pay you when you are forced to WFH/become sick/self-isolate. But hey, still a "disguised employee".

Comment

Originally posted by Oven Ready View Post
                    Now, Now We don't want to give Boris & Dom in the bungalow any ideas do we now !
                    Your wording could’ve been improved by writing:

Boris&Dom in da’ bungalow.

Given Boris is a da’ with a large number of children, a bungalow should suit him nicely from all the back strain from fraternising with his various partners and carrying the burden seemingly unharmed for this long.

Comment

Working...
                    X