• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Does anyone else feel like they are being financially ripped by the tax-man

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Collapse
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mockedguy View Post
    What a low life elitist comment to make.

Most contractors have worked fully within the laws of the time and honestly pay the taxes that were due, many £10,000s every year, corporation and personal.

If you want to have a poke at tax evaders start with 'businesses' like take-aways and traders who only take cash, and those that sit on the dole all their lives living off the tax we have earned and paid.

Do you work for hmrc?
    He is exactly the opposite. As for the rest of your comment what has that got to do with IR35 which in HMRC's eyes is about the abusive use of contracts to avoid paying Employer NI.
    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Well if he's got nothing else right the OP's user name is spot on.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
        He is exactly the opposite. As for the rest of your comment what has that got to do with IR35 which in HMRC's eyes is about the abusive use of contracts to avoid paying Employer NI.
        I doubt if any contractor has ever said to themselves 'I am going to set up a ltd company to avoid paying NI'. Agencies and clients are the ones who have always dictated as a condition to work with them you must have a Ltd Cpy.

Comment

I doubt if any contractor has ever said to themselves 'I am going to set up a ltd company to avoid paying NI'. Agencies and clients are the ones who have always dictated as a condition to work with them you must have a Ltd Cpy.
          Why do you think:-

1) HMRC are changes the rules to how they should have been implemented in 2001
          2) I said things the way I said it.

Companies now have a choice - do they want an employee (even temporarily) or do they want a defined service with a fixed(ish) statement of work...
          merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

That's completely wrong. We've had plenty on here and we've guides how to do it for newbies. The whole draw of contracting is to do it via LTD. You are going from the sublime to the ridiculous now.

Comment

Mods. Can we cut this thread from where mockedguy stepped in and move it to General please?

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                That's completely wrong. We've had plenty on here and we've guides how to do it for newbies. The whole draw of contracting is to do it via LTD. You are going from the sublime to the ridiculous now.
                This is exactly how it has worked for years in IT. Before an agent even puts you up for a role they want to know you have a ltd cpy. Have had that conversation 100s of times. Where have you been? Or are you not in IT?
                Last edited by mockedguy; 17 March 2020, 14:20.

Comment

Not true. When I first started contracting I used an umbrella for my first two roles before I set up my LTD. That was just a personal choice & I wasn't getting the message from agents or clients that it was essential.
                  If you don't have anything nice to say, say it sarcastically

Comment

This is exactly how it has worked for years in IT. Where have you been?
                    LOL.. You are taking the piss now.

At least we've found a fairly comprehensive guide to spotting a clueless permatractor.

Comment

Originally posted by KinooOrKinog View Post
                      Not true. When I first started contracting I used an umbrella for my first two roles before I set up my LTD. That was just a personal choice & I wasn't getting the message from agents or clients that it was essential.
                      Exactly same.

Comment

Working...
                      X