• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Outside IR35 & Self Assessment

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Outside IR35 & Self Assessment

Hi folks,

I just finished my first year as a contractor, and I'm a little confused about how my self assessment should be completed. I operate as a single person in a limited company. I got an SDS from my client in March concluding that I am outside IR35, which I believe means I am considered self-employed in the eyes of HMRC. My accountant believes I should be taking out the minimum amount of PAYE from the company (12.5k?) annually, and the rest out as dividends. She also believes that I should be completing a self assessment form that classes me as an employee rather than self-employed, but I don't believe this is correct as my SDS classes me as self-employed. Wouldn't completing a form that classes me as an employee be contradicting my outside status?

I have tried speaking to HMRC about this, but their staff are completely clueless when it comes to IR35, which is baffling. I'd really appreciate it if someone could clear this up for me.

Thanks

You are not self-employed in the HMRC sense of the term.

You are the director of a LtdCo and your remuneration is a combination of salary via a PAYE scheme and dividends. The exact values are unimportant while we just deal with you not understanding the basic fundamentals.

On your SATR, you will declare both types of income - that received via the PAYE scheme in the employment section, and that received as dividend.

Your accountant did tell you this but it seems they assumed you had some level.of prior knowledge, of the basic kind people might want to do before setting up a business.

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
      You are not self-employed in the HMRC sense of the term.

You are the director of a LtdCo and your remuneration is a combination of salary via a PAYE scheme and dividends. The exact values are unimportant while we just deal with you not understanding the basic fundamentals.

On your SATR, you will declare both types of income - that received via the PAYE scheme in the employment section, and that received as dividend.

Your accountant did tell you this but it seems they assumed you had some level.of prior knowledge, of the basic kind people might want to do before setting up a business.
      My confusion comes from the CEST tool telling me that I am self-employed via the outside determination. Is it the case that from an IR35 point of view I am self-employed, but from a self assessment point of view, I am not? It sounds like a slight contradiction to me. I apologise for my ignorance. I'm a coder, this isn't my forte.

Comment

Originally posted by Blaspheme View Post
        I apologise for my ignorance. I'm a coder, this isn't my forte.
        You are a director of a company selling your services to clients. It should be. The coding bit is easy, even permies can do that.
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Working...
        X