• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
    "Fish" (species unspecified) and chips.

It seems they've moved to a two-level strategy: cod & chips is a fiver, "fish of the day" & chips is four quid. Unfortunately I didn't notice this until after I'd ordered, and as they cook fish to order, I got the mystery piscine entity
    So it could have been shark? Or tadpole? Or Whale*?

* yes I know whale is a mammal.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post

* yes I know whale is a mammal.
      Or Fugu?
      Where are we going? And what’s with this hand basket?

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
        Bit big for a tadpole (which also isn't a fish, BTW)... but it could have been just about anything, I suppose

Originally posted by voodooflux View Post
        Or Fugu?

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
          Try suggesting that they pro-actively leverage the core vocabulary components of their common linguistic paradigm to synergise the actuation of inter-functional communication.
          Thanks for the .sig, NF!
          If you read the best 3 books in any subject, you'll be in the top 5% of experts in the world.

Comment

Ooh, goody!

I've been planning for ages now to install a bigger hard drive in my MacBook, but didn't want to have to do a clean install of the OS. The standard procedure is to make a bootable backup to an external drive, swap the internal drive for a new one (which takes about a minute), then boot from the external drive, and make a bootable backup of that onto the internal drive, thereby ending up with the new drive having an exact image of the contents of the old one, but with more space.

However, I'd been led to believe by a friend who is generally very knowledgeable about all things Apple that you could only boot from an external FireWire drive, not USB.

I've got a a spare hard drive and a USB hard drive caddy, but figured I'd have to buy a FireWire one instead. However, it turns out that Intel Macs can, in fact, boot from USB drives as well as FireWire ones - Apple just never mentioned it to anyone, so even a lot of Mac experts don't know.

Hard drive upgrade for the MacBook tomorrow!

Comment

Originally posted by Numpty View Post
              Thanks for the .sig, NF!

HTH

Comment

Bump
                Confusion is a natural state of being

Comment

Originally posted by Diver View Post
                  Bump
                  zzzzzzzzZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZAAAAAAAAGH!!!!!!

FFS, not again...

Comment

Well, that's nice.

The Council's electoral registration form came through the door today, so I visited the web site to indicate that everything's the same.

I now have the confirmation email.

Definition of line: something delimited by an RFC 2822-compliant line-delimiter (see third paragraph of section 2.1), excluding empty lines (that is, lines preceded by, and containing only, such a delimiter).

Content relating to me personally: 3 lines.

Content that's just relating to my confirmation (including "Thank you" and such, and therefore reasonable to include): 3 lines.

Content after that stuffed with legal garbage: 15 lines.

I'm tempted to do a word count, but let's just say that there are something like twenty or thirty times as many words in the legalese as there are in the actual content of the message.

And people wonder why the Internet feels slow today...

Comment

Hmm, I got a blog post out of that

Comment

Working...
                      X