• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Morning!

Working from Home today waiting for my (almost) new Dell delivery.

Really sad to see the end of my MacBook career, but the upside is no longer having to put up with Parallels to run my Enterprise Architect and a couple of other PC only apps I use for work.

Such is the life of a permie - having to justify spending £££'s on a laptop.
    "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
    - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Mind you, I almost had to justify buying a laptop at all "because you can use the company's these days".

I did put a stop to that nonsense.

There's no way I'm transferring 15 years worth of IP onto a company laptop. I have years of bonus point material on there that I'm not giving away.

And who knows? There may come a time when I decide to cut and run.

Once a contractor...
      "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."

Comment

Regarding 15 years of IP, did you know that there are some contractors who have saved NOTHING of their past work?!?

Oh, and piffle to client's IP - you'll never use those processes that I've created because that will involve breaking up empires to make the company more lean and effective...

God, I need to retire before my cynicism turns into outright contempt and distain.

Comment

Morning all Foggy out - can't see more than half way down the garden.
          …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post

Such is the life of a permie - having to justify spending £££'s on a laptop.
            But it's not all lost is it? You are claiming some of it back via your SA?
            'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Morning all

Grey and dismal in Nottingham again today.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                But it's not all lost is it? You are claiming some of it back via your SA?
                I don't know but I can't really see how likely that is - laptops aren't even considered contractor's essential equipment according to HMRC.

I can understand claiming via business, but not SA, else using an umbrella wouldn't be as big a bind as people claim.

Maybe I need to investigate what I can claim as a permie a bit more closely.

Comment

Originally posted by covbob View Post
                  Morning all

Grey and dismal in Nottingham again today.
                  Morning!

Comment

Morning denizens

Grey, drizzly day out there

Comment

Morning all
                      grey and damp in sarf herts.
                      last nights dinner, due to the osteorenalapathy, was a chinese <delivered>.
                      and very nice it was.

Comment

Working...
                      X