• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stone me, how old is this car?

X5 home.

Tea/dinner was the last of Sunday's roast beef with carrots & onions.

Unlike the previous couple of meals it was better than mediocre and was quite nice.

Current epic is "Too Late The Hero" with Michael Caine, Harry Andrews, the compulsory Septic in the form of Cliff Robertson.

Too Late the Hero (1970) - IMDb

Ok so far, set on some imaginary New Hebridean island with the Philippines standing in for the "real" location.

That was quite good in its way.

Not that I like jungle pictures much.
    Last edited by DoctorStrangelove; 16 January 2019, 22:27.
    When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Originally posted by DoctorStrangelove View Post
      Stone me, how old is this car?
      2001, I believe, so seventeen or eighteen years old

Tonight's tea has been part of the ongoing operation to use up most of the contents of the freezer, this time in the form of a rack of ribs with chips; very nice, it was

This actually involved restocking the freezer a little bit with homemade chips, which were excellent. British spuds, though the specific county from which they were sourced wasn't given on the packaging, which is annoying; I suspect they're from somewhere in East Anglia, though.

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
        I'm basically back where I was before I went into hospital, with a bit more on top

Speaking of getting in shape, the Corolla is home

In fact they phoned at just on five to tell me, as I started replying to this post, so I've been down and collected it

My theory about the rear brakes sticking was partially correct: it was in fact the nearside front brake and the offside rear brake that were both sticking

New brake pads up front, new disks and pads on the back, and new calipers for the aforementioned, along with a full service, brought the total to just over £700. Could be worse, and hopefully that's all sorted for a bit
        about the same as the mighty Mondeo last set of brakes, service & air leak (standard on Fords).

£6K for 9 years motoring, its dirt cheap.
        Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Tonight saw the continuation of Krzysztof Kieślowski's trilogy with Three Colours: White (1994) (properly Trois couleurs: Blanc, of course) in which Zbigniew Zamachowski is thrown out, penniless, on to the streets of Paris by his French wife. He meets another Pole who helps him get back to Warsaw by smuggling him in a large suitcase, and he then sets out to exact revenge upon his wife, which involves first becoming a successful businessman in the newly-capitalist country. But, in the end, can anger overcome love? Rather lighter in tone than Three Colours: Blue, though one begins to see how the themes intertwine.

In one scene, in the background, one briefly sees Juliette Binoche in a moment from the first film and realises that the incident - a fleeting, trivial thing when it was seen in the context of her story - actually happened to her as the result of an event of profound importance to the characters in this film. It's the kind of thing that could be clumsily done, but it was very nicely handled here

Goodnight all

Comment

Amazing Trilogy of profound Cinema.

I should watch them again, whilst it's still dark and great outside.
            I was an IPSE Consultative Council Member, until the BoD abolished it. I am not an IPSE Member, since they have no longer have any relevance to me, as an IT Contractor. Read my lips...I recommend QDOS for ALL your Insurance requirements (Contact me for a referral code).

Comment

Morning all
              …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Morning.

Dry.

Cold. 15.8 in the living room, 6.8 in the laundry room with a min of 6.6. Brrrrr.

Clear sky giving a nice view of Venus & Jupiter (it turns out).

The rosy fingers of dawn are clearly defined to the east.

Thursday.

If my calculations be correct: 102.

Hopefully zero Esteemed Customers today.

Still haven't got over yesterday's oik who thought he deserved even more help than he'd already got.

Some of them just don't realise this isn't skool and you are supposed to do a bit of work for yourself.

Oh Dear(tm). Just as well the meridian twat doesn't look in here or I'd be accused of being racist towards the aboriginal inhabitants too.

Better not mention the C***ese student currently bombarding a colleague for help with emails at 17:30, 19:29, 21:15, & 23:00 then.

All regarding stuff that's on the webtulipe.

<hiatus>

Well.

Thank feck for that.

The Thing in the aircon that's been whistling away for the last 2 hours just stopped.

For 10 fecking seconds.
                Last edited by DoctorStrangelove; 17 January 2019, 10:27.

Comment

Morning denizens

Sunny out

Dashed chilly though: still a mere 2°C, and frost lingers on the roofs that the sun hasn't reached

Comment

Originally posted by DoctorStrangelove View Post
                    Hopefully zero Esteemed Customers today.

<hiatus>

Well.

Thank feck for that.

The Thing in the aircon that's been whistling away for the last 2 hours just stopped.

For 10 fecking seconds.
                    Fecking Esteemed Customer in lab.

Continuously fecking coughing.

I suppose it cover the noise the aircon is making.

Oh, and it's not racist, since he's an aboriginal from around here.

Complete with hideous cough.

<hiatus>

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaargh!
                    Last edited by DoctorStrangelove; 17 January 2019, 12:32.

Comment

Various forum fixes should now be apparent

https://www.contractoruk.com/forums/...rum-fixes.html

Comment

Working...
                      X