• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dinner has been a roast beef dinner with the usual trimmings. It was a rib of beef joint, and absolutely delicious

Bit of a shower out just now. More expected through the night.

I should have been in London tonight, ready for the AWS Summit tomorrow, but I decided yesterday to skip it this year. There's only a couple of talks that looked really interesting, and I figured spending around £250 on travel and accommodation, plus a roughly 250 mile round trip, was a bit excessive just for them. I think they'll be posted online some time anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
      This is not a database issue, but a client issue. The database is returning the raw data instantly. It’s then transmitted to android clients. These clients then need to perform various calculations and transformations locally. That’s their fundamental business brief.
      We’re looking at doing all the calcs etc on the server, then sending the results. Gives them less “flexibility”, but they don’t need that, while it should give them performance too.
      The fact that their business process is flawed is not allowed to be questioned.
      Ah, the old "make the client do the work" tactic. Never gets old, that one. It's how I first found myself doing web development in 1996-7; I'd just started at this company and they'd managed to wangle a contract off BT on the back of the idea of doing clever stuff in JavaScript rather than burdening the server. As always, it turned out clients (Netscape Navigator 3 and IE 3 in that case) weren't as up to the task as the boss had imagined, and I had to work out how to take up the slack

Comment

Tonight's movie masterpiece was The Hustler (1961) in glorious Technimonochrome, though luckily it's about pool where the colour of the balls doesn't matter so much. It probably wouldn't have worked so well if it had been about snooker. Excellent stuff, deserving of the many plaudits it's received over the years

Police helicopter - or at least a helicopter - is buzzing the neighbourhood right now, but nonetheless I'd better attempt to sleep

Goodnight all

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
          Tonight's movie masterpiece was The Hustler (1961) in glorious Technimonochrome, though luckily it's about pool where the colour of the balls doesn't matter so much. It probably wouldn't have worked so well if it had been about snooker. Excellent stuff, deserving of the many plaudits it's received over the years

Police helicopter - or at least a helicopter - is buzzing the neighbourhood right now, but nonetheless I'd better attempt to sleep

Goodnight all

Originally posted by Ted Lowe
          and for those of you who are watching in black and white, the pink is next to the green

Morning.

Grey.

Dark grey.

Wet.

Windy.

Baglan has now disappeared.

Just about see the far end of the dock.

When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

morning

wet and dreary in virtual bearsden this morning

Comment

12 mile cycle commute in pouring rain.

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
                Oh, and another one...

Them: It’s running slow

Me: How many users are on?

Them: 15.

Me: How much data per user?

Them: About 1,000 lines

Me: When you stress tested it, how many users and how much data?

Them: Mumble mumble.

Me: Let me check, ah yes, 2 users and 100 lines per user.

Sometimes my inner BOFH kicks in when I look around an office and think about which window looks the least secure
                You have identified the issue. Systems run far better without users. Just boot the users off and all will be well.

Comment

And I manged to knock my water bottle over. With no lid on. Luckily the next desk is unused.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post

12 mile cycle commute in pouring rain.
                    Glad i'm not in Your office.
                    the thought of a gently steaming Brillo in the corner.................
                    oh, dear

Comment

Originally posted by BR14 View Post
                      Glad i'm not in Your office.
                      the thought of a gently steaming Brillo in the corner.................
                      oh, dear

ex-mrs-bp dreams of that most nights....

Comment

Working...
                      X