• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

morning

grey and dry here.

Comment

Morning all blustery rain overnight, but glimpses of blue sky this morning
      …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Morning denizens

Grey day out, though no rain at the moment

I had a definite temperature when I crashed out last night which turned out on further investigation to be, depending on which ear I probed, about 100° to 101°F. It was actually quite reassuring to have confirmation that the mild wretchedness I've been feeling the past couple of days is probably due to some lurgy, rather than general decrepitude

Still feeling slightly sub-par today but the temperature seems to be closer to normal so far

Comment

Getting sunnier here.
          When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Originally posted by DoctorStrangelove View Post
            Getting sunnier here.
            I thought that would be good news.

Comment

So last day of the month. As a permie that means pay day!

Great until I pay Mrs BP. I suppose she has to be kept in shoes.....

Comment

Just got a MOT reminder text. Just as well I have it booked in for Friday. Which is a work from home day....

Comment

The most striking of this morning's purchase of dvds was "The Conqueror (1956)" with Duke Wayne, highly miscast, and a film most famous for killing a goodly percentage of those involved in its production.

The Conqueror (1956) - IMDb

The film is sometimes called "An RKO Radioactive Picture". It was filmed near an active nuclear test site in Utah, where eleven tests had reportedly been carried out in the year before the production landed there.

Not surprisingly, the set was contaminated by nuclear fallout, but producer Howard Hughes and the local population had been reassured by the Atomic Energy Commission that the area was completely safe.

Photographs exist of John Wayne holding a Geiger counter that reportedly made so much noise that he simply thought it was broken.

After location shooting, Hughes had tons of contaminated soil transported back to Hollywood in order to match interior shooting done there.

Over the next thirty years, 91 of the 220 cast and crew members had developed a form of cancer.

Forty-six had died, including John Wayne, Susan Hayward, Pedro Armendáriz (who shot himself soon after learning he had terminal cancer), Agnes Moorehead, John Hoyt and director Dick Powell. Lee Van Cleef had throat cancer, but died of a heart attack.

The count did not include several hundred local Native Americans who played extras, or relatives of the cast and crew who visited the set, including John Wayne's son Michael Wayne.

A "People" article quoted the reaction of a scientist from the Pentagon's Defense Nuclear Agency to the news, "Please, God, don't let us have killed John Wayne".

As of June 2011, the article is available in its archive online.
                  And then again:

Was The Movie The Conqueror Really Cursed? A Look At Radiation Paranoia - Interscan Corporation

But:

Hollywood and the downwinders still grapple with nuclear fallout | Film | The Guardian
                  Last edited by DoctorStrangelove; 31 July 2019, 10:53.
                  When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Originally posted by DoctorStrangelove View Post
                    The most striking of this morning's purchase of dvds was "The Conqueror (1956)" with Duke Wayne, highly miscast, and a film most famous for killing a goodly percentage of those involved in its production.

The Conqueror (1956) - IMDb
                    there's a 39% probability for anyone getting cancer, anyway.
                    91 out of 220 is about right.

Comment

WTF is it with these motivational water bottles

I mean how do you become that much of a fu<k nugget that you need 'motivation' to drink water.

Just saw one of the 'execs' with one - I mean do you really want someone who needs extra help to drink water running your business?

FFS what is the world coming to?

Comment

Working...
                      X