• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Always reassuring to grab something you need off GitHub and find, on first using it, that it contains a syntax error which prevents it running at all. I mean, you don't have to go full TDD, but this thing couldn't even have worked on his machine

Comment

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
      Hash fumes in the Northern Quarter?
      Yeah I am close enough to smell them too!

Nobody seems to be sharing though

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
      Should be there in thirty minutes or so, if the radar is to be believed
      Well i just popped out to Tampopo for some noodles and it was still pretty pleasant - if anything a touch muggy.

Comment

Mundane laundry - t-shirts and such - done. Now on to the tea towel wash.

Comment

Originally posted by original PM View Post
          it was still pretty pleasant - if anything a touch muggy.
          Sun's out and the waves have subsided on the dock.
          When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Tea towels done. And I remembered that I wanted chips for tonight's tea, so a large batch of them has just been brought to Phase I, and is now drying off.

I may not have time to freeze the ones for tonight, but never mind

Comment

Caught the X55 this evening at 17:15.

It must be said that it's a lot calmer at that time of day after the rush has dispersed a bit.

Tea was lentil <pffffft> soup which was as bland as bland can be but palatable enough.

Followed by stewed green gooseberries and custard.

Yum.

Originally posted by DoctorStrangelove View Post
              Got 30 mins in & decided I'd had enough for tonight.

Only another 2 hrs 50 mins to go.

The aspect ration looked a bit odd at the start, as if it was 16:9 squashed to 4:3, but later on it looks ok at 4:3.

3 hours of very tall people might get a bit wearing and neither the tv nor the bluray player seems to be able to correct it, despite much pressing of buttons.

The Brian Brown takes the Fred Astaire part, with someone I've never heard of doing the Gregory Peck thing.

Apparently the 1959 version upset Neville Shute so much it killed him.

Originally posted by DoctorStrangelove View Post
              Sun's out and the waves have subsided on the dock.
              Apparently there's a storm coming.

Again.

Watching carefully for ladies in open jeeps with alsation dogs.
              When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

I spent the afternoon in the Tate Modern, actually no unmade beds or desperate sex. Some of it was quite good.

Guerrilla Girls

Christian Marclay: The Clock – Exhibition at Tate Modern | Tate

take the time to visit.

Not as good as the Louvre.
                Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Dinner tonight was thai chicken curry + polish head remover £1.49 for a pint from our Polish shop (run by a sikh of course)
                  Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Dinner has been a porterhouse steak, with very good chips - Suffolk seems to have yielded excellent chip spuds this year

And the recycling bin has been trundled forth ready for tommorow's festivities.

After trundling, I popped over to Sainsbury's Local. In the queue for the till with me were three people wearing Tesco uniforms

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
                      After much thrashing about, I finally got the basic version of the thing working

It didn't help that for most of the day, I've had it pointing at the wrong database server

But now I'm pointing at the right one: behold!

That map was rendered in response to an HTTP request, with the bounding box specified in the URL. Running in a Vagrant VM on my MBA, and using geographic data from a Postgres database server running on my iMac across the room, it rendered in 6 seconds, which isn't too bad.

FWIW, it shows the area in which Arthur Ransome's novel Secret Water is set
                      Couldn't work out why Mapnik was failing to render land polygons, leading to bits of dry land not appearing. After mucking about for ages making sure it was building OK, the server was configured OK, the Mapnik mapfile was correct, and so on, it turned out the polygon shapefiles were somehow corrupted.

Fixed now

Oh, and adding database GIN indexes has shaved a few seconds off the rendering time

Comment

Working...
                      X