• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I wonder what that nice Larry Olivier will be telling us about today.

Oh.

D Day.

"The World at War" Morning: June-August 1944 (TV Episode 1974) - IMDb

I had a mooch around the garage and the shed earlier but it's quite unpleasant out there so I came back up and cleaned the tops of the kitchen cupboards.

There's a number of ancient tea pots that are about to get recycled.

Assuming, of course, that they're not trade waste.
    Last edited by DoctorStrangelove; 14 August 2019, 15:47.
    When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Meteorologists "baffled" as I manage to pop over to Sainsbury's Local for a few bits without getting rained on

Comment

Tea was more of Sunday's roast beef with the roast onion I forgot about added in.

It was nice enough.

Followed by the compulsory (I've got to get rid of it before it goes off) stewed blackberries and custard.

It was nice.

With the addition of 1.05 pints of Good Glengettie Tea as is only right & proper.

The initial televisual treat was Larry, now followed by Abandoned Engineering.

Sarajevo Winter Olympic thing.

At 20:00 is "War Factories" just in case one hasn't had enough death & destruction for one day.

According to the PM programme (), Putin may be attempting to create a Russian version of

Project Pluto - Wikipedia

Allegedly the missile that exploded the other day causing the radiation spike might be one of these.

The PM Clown was surprised that it wasn't easier to make these days than it was in 1960.

They're not employed for their engineering expertise.

9M730 Burevestnik - Wikipedia
        Last edited by DoctorStrangelove; 14 August 2019, 18:48.

Comment

Originally posted by DoctorStrangelove View Post
          Which leads, via a link to its author, to The 2020 Commission Report on the North Korean Nuclear Attacks Against the United States - Wikipedia which is an excellent book, and well worth reading

Comment

Originally posted by DoctorStrangelove View Post
            At 20:00 is "War Factories" just in case one hasn't had enough death & destruction for one day.
            Followed by "The Pacific War in Color" on Smithsonian since one can never have enough blood & real guts as shown in the film of

Battle of Tarawa - Wikipedia

They lost a lot of men in 3 days.

The film shows the real results of battle.

Ah, now we have the hero of the Philippines on his way back to Bataan.

I see that dead footballer had astronomic levels of CO in his blood.

That might explain why the plane crashed regardless of the qualities of the pilot.

Emiliano Sala 'exposed to carbon monoxide in plane crash' - BBC News

Oh good, we're back to MacArthur again.

Tomorrow, it would appear, we're on to Saipan.

The attrition of the Japanese was incredible.

17 surrendered out of 2000 on one island.

Followed by a programme about the Tet Offensive in 1968.

Which I switched off, being rather overwhelmed with the diet of death destruction for this particular evening.

Just read more of The Current Tome, one bit of which was a description of the last passenger train from Merthyr Tydfil to Abergavenny in 1958.

Merthyr, Tredegar and Abergavenny Railway - Wikipedia

Taking an hour and 40 minutes to travel 25 miles seems a tad excessive.
            Last edited by DoctorStrangelove; 14 August 2019, 21:52.

Comment

For tea tonight: fried smoked gammon steak, fried egg, pineapple, chips, and beans. Absolutely delicious

Comment

No telly tonight, for I have been rereading John Wyndham's Trouble with Lichen

Heavy shower just now, but I think it's already passed.

Goodnight all

Comment

Nice cycle in this morning. Unlike the cycle home last night. It started off torrential. Then got merely wet. Then torrential again. But it was warm and my skin is waterproof....

Comment

Visit to the dental hygienist this morning.

Comment

For LadyMuck : my laptop keeping pinging last night instead of shutting down. I decided to turn it on this morning and it wanted an update. After 20 minutes it was still going so I left it to get on with it.

Chances of my laptop being f**ked by tonight are?

Comment

Working...
                      X