• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DoctorStrangelove View Post
    I read some SF about 50 years ago that posited that idea, rather than evolving into something greater, the something greater had been devolving for eons and to make the imminent end more bearable had reversed the perception of time.

So, in essence, one was either dug up from a grave, or reconstitued from the fumes coming back down the chimney, lived life in reverse, got unborn (you really don't want to think about that too much), and after 9 months the egg and sperm separated with the sperm being resorbed by dad to take the twinkle out of his eye.

Red Dwarf mined conceit that in an ep.

Backwards (Red Dwarf) - Wikipedia

Goodness me I read a lot of SF back in the day.

Some of the best stories came from Roger Zelazny, some of which stay with me even yet.
    I particularly liked his Chronicles of Amber series. I keep hoping it will get made into a TV series but it hasn't happened yet.
    "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Car moved 6 minutes after the witching time began. I saw the traffic warden walking up the road and steeled myself for a £60 fine, but none had been issued! I think if I had left it there for longer I could have gotten a ticket.

The Ocado man had just arrived outside my flat when I came out. He was half an hour early and would have waited if I asked but what's the point of that? I told him I'd be right back after car moving and so got my shopping in nice and early.

Comment

There was a popular science series of books published by Wiedenfeld and Nicholson in the mid-1990's. My mum worked for the distributors at the time and used to bring home loads of books. I didn't get the full set but have a few of them. One was called The Last Three Minutes which was a discussion of the options for the end of the universe that science thought were possible at that time.

Generally it suggested continual expansion, cooling and heat death or the 'elastic band' reaches its limit and the universe gradually contracts and triggers another big bang. I think there was a third option which was some kind of middle ground of never ending drivel, much like TPD.

Comment

morning

grey and damp today

Comment

Morning denizens

Back to what has been passing for normal of late here: grey, dry, around 9°C

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
              There was a popular science series of books published by Wiedenfeld and Nicholson in the mid-1990's. My mum worked for the distributors at the time and used to bring home loads of books. I didn't get the full set but have a few of them. One was called The Last Three Minutes which was a discussion of the options for the end of the universe that science thought were possible at that time.

Generally it suggested continual expansion, cooling and heat death or the 'elastic band' reaches its limit and the universe gradually contracts and triggers another big bang. I think there was a third option which was some kind of middle ground of never ending drivel, much like TPD.
              "The blood red game" by Michael Moorcock ends the universe IIRC.

AKA "The Sundered Worlds".

In with the hoi polloi.

Bit of a change in the weather since yesterday: cold, miserable, sunless, moonless, and unpleasant.

I knew we'd pay for yesterday.

<hiatus type hiatus>

Now watching "The Pink Panther" with commentary and trivia turned on.

It's much more a David Niven film than the later epics were, not forgetting the dire Alan Arkin version and the one with Roger Moore.

Nice little scene with an Austin A40 being driven quite steadily on snow and ice.

Bet it had studded tyres on it.

I'm sat here because it's realy cold, wet, & nasty out there now and the walk is cancelled for today.

Lunch was baked beans on Morrisons sunflower and pumpkin seed toast and a tomato sarnie, with 1.05 pints of good Glengettie tea.
              Last edited by DoctorStrangelove; 11 January 2020, 13:03.
              When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

My mother seems to be under the impression that I’m interested in discussing the affairs of the family Windsor. I don’t know how she got that idea. I told her I had something important to do and ended the call

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
                  never ending drivel, much like TPD.
                  TPS and CUK will close down in April 2020.

Will admin make us undelete all our posts?

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
                    My mother seems to be under the impression that I’m interested in discussing the affairs of the family Windsor. I don’t know how she got that idea. I told her I had something important to do and ended the call
                    Did you offer to discuss javascript with her and she changed the subject?

Though why anyone would not want to discuss javascript is beyond me....

Comment

There’s football (association) again today. Very odd; IIRC they did it last Saturday, and again one evening in the week. Pretty sure it’s usually more widely spaced, and this is just an anomaly.

Comment

Working...
                      X