• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thank God it is not just me who is mechanically useless!

Mind you, I would call out Green Flag to do my tyre pressures. What is this "jack" of which you speak? Is this something one's butler uses?

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
      Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
      <- manly
      I hope that was a "<- manly" from LM too! I don't want HWMBO coming round to punch my lights out! I can't even run away at the moment. I would be lucky to get out of the front door - then my hip would probably give way.

Though I might be getting better. At least I have the energy to whine!

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
        Thank God it is not just me who is mechanically useless!

Mind you, I would call out Green Flag to do my tyre pressures. What is this "jack" of which you speak? Is this something one's butler uses?
        I’m sure I could have got it done if it hadn’t been for the nuts. The thingy in the toolkit isn’t long enough to provide sufficient leverage, that’s what I reckon

Comment

I’m sure I could have got it done if it hadn’t been for the nuts. The thingy in the toolkit isn’t long enough to provide sufficient leverage, that’s what I reckon
          Yuss occifer, that's wot the extra bit of pipe in the boot is for, honest guv.

Hub nuts are even better, the ones on the old granada are done up to sommat like 300lbft.

I thought one of them was done up even more until I discovered it was left hand thread.

The four foot extra leverage of a bit of scaffolding pole with me jumping up and down on it did the business.

Eventually.

Feck me, that was more than 30 years ago.

1987 IIRC.

Stone me I did some stuff back in the day.

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
          Next step in turning step son into a cyborg is that he now has an insulin pump installed, no more needs and injections
          One of the Esteemed Customers had one of those.

I felt quite the first time I saw it.

Today's score on Freecell was 92%.

It didn't start well but got better as I got into the zone.

Running average still solidly 82%.
          Last edited by DoctorStrangelove; 15 January 2020, 16:06.
          When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
            I hope that was a "<- manly" from LM too! I don't want HWMBO coming round to punch my lights out! I can't even run away at the moment. I would be lucky to get out of the front door - then my hip would probably give way.

Though I might be getting better. At least I have the energy to whine!
            A platonic one, as I'm not all that manly (despite the rumours)

Comment

Busy day earning my crust.

Now logged off and am off to the cinema to see The Gentlemen (2020) - IMDb.

I have arranged for a local charity to take away the monitors and DVD/home cinema stuff. They will sell on and make some dosh, so I feel better about that.

Comment

Wheel change sorted!

I popped down early to get the spare wheel out and so forth. Just as I’d done that, the phone app pinged me to say the bloke had arrived! But when I went out to the side road, there was no sign of him

Finally, after nearly half-an-hour, I phoned to find what was going on. The official explanation was that he’d hit the “arrived” button accidentally, but would be there Real Soon Now.

He finally showed up around ten minutes later - or rather, somebody else did. The tracking map on the app had last shown him up on the A46 bypass, and the chap who arrived explained that the police were having to close a lane up there so the chap originally supposed to be coming could recover them safely, or something. Anyway, once whoever this chap is was here, he got the wheel changed in about five minutes flat

Oh, and the car seems to be starting OK so the battery, though still in need of replacement, might not be so urgent after all. I just need to make sure to take it for a spin to charge it up properly from time to time.

Comment

Get a telescopic one, or attach a scaffold pole, and stand on it

Comment

Originally posted by Anonimouse View Post
                    Get a telescopic one, or attach a scaffold pole, and stand on it
                    I’ll look into getting a longer one or some such for the future; I still want to actually change a wheel now I’ve gone to all the trouble of learning how

Comment

I’m sure I could have got it done if it hadn’t been for the nuts.
                      I think I said the same thing on my stag night when my "friends" got me a Thai lady boy.

The thingy in the toolkit isn’t long enough to provide sufficient leverage, that’s what I reckon
                      You are not heavy enough! Eat more Greggs!

Comment

Working...
                      X