• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

This "exempt your home from Inheritance Tax" thing the Tories brought in...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This "exempt your home from Inheritance Tax" thing the Tories brought in...

Does anyone know how it works or have a link to it explained well? Has it already come into force? What's the proper name of the scheme, even?

Thanks...
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

It hasn't started yet. Try googling it, there are lots of results.

Comment

From 6th April 2017 there is an additional £100k per person's estate provided it is against a property.

It rises by £25k per person over the subsequent 3 years.

For a married couple, the first death's allowance is transferable to the spouse, so when fully implemented, £350k of a property would be exempt from CGT before the standard allowance applies.

Comment

Originally posted by syrio View Post
        It hasn't started yet. Try googling it, there are lots of results.
        I don't know what to Google... I did try but nothing obvious came up.
        Originally posted by GB9 View Post
        From 6th April 2017 there is an additional £100k per person's estate provided it is against a property.

It rises by £25k per person over the subsequent 3 years.

For a married couple, the first death's allowance is transferable to the spouse, so when fully implemented, £350k of a property would be exempt from CGT before the standard allowance applies.
        I thought there was something about a £1m limit so is this the same thing or something different?
        Originally posted by MaryPoppins
        I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
        Originally posted by vetran
        Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
          I don't know what to Google... I did try but nothing obvious came up.
          I thought there was something about a £1m limit so is this the same thing or something different?
          Yes, it is the same thing.

Let me google that for you.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=to...nheritance+tax

First result Inheritance tax to be scrapped on homes worth up to £1m - BBC News says.

At present, inheritance tax is payable at 40% on the value of an estate in excess of the tax-free allowance of £325,000 per person. Married couples and civil partners can pass the allowance on to each other.

From April 2017 parents will each be offered a further £175,000 "family home allowance" to enable them to pass property on to children tax-free after their death.

This will be added to the existing £325,000 inheritance tax threshold, bringing the total transferable tax-free allowance from both parents in a married couple or civil partnership to £1m.

Comment

Working...
          X