• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Registering a DLL

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Registering a DLL

Firstly I know this is a laughably easy thing to do for a Microsoft type but I'm struggling.

It is a 64 bit DLL and I'm on a 64 windows 8.1.

I dropped it in to SysWOW64 which I have learned from foogling might be the location for this(?), from my brief Microsoft programming experience you used to register it at the command line with regsvr32 but that obviously seems to be a 32 bit solution(?).

I'm not sure if I can check on the command if the dl is registered as my (java jni) application is not seeing it.

Cheers

Welcome to the confusing world of Windows on Windows.

C:\Windows\System32 is the 64-bit location on 64-bit machines. Everything in here is 64-bit, including things like regsvr32
    C:\Windows\SysWOW64 is the 32-bit compatibility location on 64-bit machines

So, if your application is 64-bit you need to use C:\Windows\System32, if it's 32-bit you need to use C:\Windows\SysWOW64

Comment

Assuming it's a COM DLL. There's no such thing as "registering a DLL" strictly speaking.

Where you put the DLL doesn't matter. Well it didn't used to, but I haven't done such things in Windows 8. You need to regsvr32 it in an elevated command prompt.
      Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Cheers all, got that working.

Slotted in the 64 bit dll into the system32 directory. Pretty counter intuitive.

My first job out of uni 16 years ago was writing install scripts for a windows application, much of it was messing around with DLLs. I can see it has not got any better.
        Last edited by minestrone; 6 May 2015, 14:56.

Comment

Christ, the DLL can crash my JVM if the configuration file needed by the DLL is not found.

I've always been a fan of fail fast programming but this takes it to the extreme.

Comment

Working...
          X